Talk

Advanced search

Loft conversion and insurance companies

(6 Posts)
5littlechickens Sun 26-Jul-15 09:30:28

I'm hoping to get my loft converted to an extra bedroom and bathroom in Jan next year, all to regs etc. My house insurance is up for renewal and I recall some insurance companies cancel your policy if you do work like attic conversion. If you have converted your loft can you let know which insurance company you were with and if they allowed it. Thanks

zoemaguire Sun 26-Jul-15 09:34:59

I don't think it's a question of cancelling your policy - they aren't allowed to do that! -, but more of what they will cover while work is going on. Ours for instance would cover a break in only if there was forced entry, which was fair enough really given that our front door was open 90% of the time at some points with builders going in and out. We just packed TV and valuables away!

ThunderboltKid Sun 26-Jul-15 10:20:32

We're with Legal & General. As above, break-in only if there is forced entry, and no accidental damage cover during the works.

Work is still ongoing back they just want me to call them when it's finished so they can change the policy back. There hasn't been any additional cost during the work and was quite easy to sort out.

superram Sun 26-Jul-15 17:42:09

Be aware they will put up your premium when you have finished too.

ThunderboltKid Sun 26-Jul-15 18:30:39

Yes, because the house will have an extra room, on a higher floor (therefore increased risk), and be worth more. I just meant they hadn't charged me now for making changes.

ThunderboltKid Sun 26-Jul-15 21:05:20

(Sorry, that sounds far more sarcastic & rude than it did in my head!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now