Talk

Advanced search

Conservatory or new windows?

(14 Posts)
Tw1nkle Sat 25-Jul-15 11:25:50

Hi.
We have a budget to get some work done on the house.
We have wooden window frames at the moment, and we'd love pvc. However, we would also like a conservatory.
We only have budget to do one!
Which would you do?
We might look to move house in a few years if that makes a difference.
Any advice appreciated!

StonedGalah Sat 25-Jul-15 13:37:59

I would do the windows. If you stay, you can do the conservatory later and add space.

newstart15 Sat 25-Jul-15 14:20:44

I would also do the windows as they can make a big difference to the house.Conservatories can been difficult rooms to heat/keep warm so consider proper extn

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 25-Jul-15 15:01:22

I would get triple glazed windows.

AboutTimeIChangedMyNameAgain Sat 25-Jul-15 19:44:40

Windows without a doubt! Insulate your house.

I really don't like conservatories. Cold in winter and boiling in summer.

AboutTimeIChangedMyNameAgain Sat 25-Jul-15 19:45:49

Oh if you're looking at moving in a few years then new windows will definitely help. Much more than a conservatory.

TooMuchRain Sat 25-Jul-15 20:24:09

we have a sunroom which I love but would still go for windows for better heat/sound insulation

UsedToBeAPaxmanFan Sun 26-Jul-15 04:39:05

Windows, definitely. Conservatories are usually just a waste of space.

MrsJamin Sun 26-Jul-15 07:08:39

I agree, we had a sunroom and it was virtually unusable, either too hot or too cold. If your windows need doing then do those.

fourtothedozen Sun 26-Jul-15 12:35:21

I love my conservatory, we use it all year round. It rarely gets too hot, and is lovely to sit in the winter.

JoTheUnsure Sun 26-Jul-15 13:02:04

We have a conservatory (with a small air con/heater unit) but it rarely gets used. Playroom or laundry room.

And if you do get a conservatory and move... a friend was saying they'd have done a whole back extension instead... so the conservatory might not be to everyone's taste.

I'd go for replacing windows as well. Whole house will benefit... greater security...

fourtothedozen Sun 26-Jul-15 13:11:24

My conservatory is the biggest wow room in the house.
It is 28 foot square, lots of sitting space, sofas, tables, soft furnishings, a huge vine, a big flowering jasmine.
We use it to entertain all year round, and it becomes very magical at christmas time, decked with twinkling lights, a lovely place to sit around and drink mulled wine.
It was part of the reason we bought the house.

Sunnyshores Sun 26-Jul-15 14:10:45

assuming it isnt a period property, then windows.

TremoloGreen Mon 27-Jul-15 09:25:58

Agree with Sunnyshores, as long as it's not period, then windows. I'm looking at houses at the moment and I would pay extra for new windows, not so for a conservatory, they don't add any value for me as I don't consider them a proper room unless they have double glazing and a tiled roof. One of those plastic roof jobs that is freezing/boiling for most of the year is just like having a garden shed tacked to the back of your house.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now