Talk

Advanced search

What's the current fashion for bathrooms?

(71 Posts)
Karbea Fri 24-Jul-15 20:01:19

We are hopefully having our house extended/refurbished and I will need to make decisions about two bathrooms and a downstairs shower room fairly quickly.

If you've had your bathroom redone lately how do you do it, what's in at the moment (not that I'll necessarily follow fashion but it's nice to know)...

I like subway tiles but these seem to have been around for ages and don't want to go that way if they are on their way out!

Thank you.

BananaPie Fri 24-Jul-15 20:08:41

Go for something that you like rather than something you think is fashionable. Things that are fashionable look dated quickly which means you'll want to replace much sooner!

wowfudge Fri 24-Jul-15 20:23:07

We're having ours done at the moment - we've gone for fully tiled in 30x10cm tile in brick bond in an off white/creamy colour. No border, no mosaic tiles. Back to the wall double ended bath with 4 hole taps so there's a shower spray that slots into the side of the bath (instead of the hose hanging into it) for hair washing and cleaning.

Separate shower with rain head and movable spray head. Vanity unit with semi-recessed basin. We are going to have something like Karndean on the floor in a wood look.

We are limited by room dimensions and the curved edges to the ceiling have given the fitter a few issues. We had one wall taken back to brick as the plaster was uneven with nothing straight.

If you are in a modern house I think things like wall hung loos and sinks can look stunning. Ours is 1930s with lots of original features which was one of the reasons I wanted brick bond tiles as that was what was in the houses originally.

dynevoran Sat 25-Jul-15 12:59:06

I also don't know what is fashionable but I know what I like! I did our main bathroom last year on a tiny budget and made decisions in a couple of days. I just chose a large ceramic tile which had a creamish marble effect and very modern shape bath and basin and toilet with waterfall taps.

I love it, it's nice and plain and not gimmicky. And a bit hotel bathroom. But I really wish I had had the money to make it bolder and more personal.

I'm doing the loft next year and have decided to go for very large white Matt tiles on walls and bright encaustic floor tiles. With a white gloss vanity sink instead of a pedestal one.

Although I'm glad I kept the bathroom simple as I don't dislike it at all - I'm just more aware that I could have made it amazing with more money!

Lelivre Sat 25-Jul-15 13:04:10

I've been tile shopping a lot lately! And the tide is turning subway/metro tiles in brick bond unless like wowfudge you have a period home where this belongs. They are everywhere though and some great colours and finishes, for an updated look at placing them in a linear fashion or herringbone pattern (this can look really cool when using the same tile but varying shades)

dynevoran Sat 25-Jul-15 13:08:20

This people make such beautiful tiles that I can't imagine they will ever go out of fashion. The dandelion ones are my favourite and there are so many different layouts that you can choose how the overall effect is.

www.contemporarytiles.se/sida2.html

Lelivre Sat 25-Jul-15 13:23:37

Dyne - I am with you there. My favourite too smile

wowfudge Sat 25-Jul-15 15:04:12

Metro tiles are classic - it's things like particular colours that go out of fashion. Grey will begin to look dated soon after being in for several years.

Those tiles Dyne has posted a link to may look fab on floors as in most of the photos, but many of them are too busy on walls imho.

Think about the light in the room and the atmosphere you want to create. In a bathroom I want easy to clean and a calm, restful feel. Even if most of the time I don't spend hours wallowing in the bath. Think about storage too. Don't think about fashion.

pinechesterdrawers Sat 25-Jul-15 23:06:14

We are doing a bathroom soon so - glad you started a thread op. Hard to decide what I will still like in 10 years and what is affordable. I think metro brick bond is timeless and metro laid herringbone too.

i thinking sage grey metro as our house is nearly 80 and want classic not ultra moderne!

Karbea Sun 26-Jul-15 09:33:32

I think I want classic too, our house is a cottage so don't really want something that'll argue with that.

cathcustard Sun 26-Jul-15 11:51:14

I think, to a certain extent, whatever you choose will date.
I dithered about my bathrooms in the Spring and have gone very plain; limestone floors, tongue & groove and big almost white tiles in the showers.

The most successful feature has been the big cupboards under the sink. Lots of storage hides all the tat.

pinechesterdrawers Sun 26-Jul-15 12:14:17

Has anyone got any floor standing vanity sink units they would recommend in the "up to £400 including the sink" category? I want a floor standing not wall hung but there seems to be less choice.

cathcustard Sun 26-Jul-15 12:48:33

pine, yes I have.
www.firedearth.com/bathrooms/type/furniture/vermont-bathroom-furniture-n-5-washstand-1400
Our builder copied this in MDF

wowfudge Sun 26-Jul-15 14:58:53

We've gone for a simple white vanity unit with semi-recessed basin set into it. The handles will match those on the shower cubicle doors. It is nothing exciting, but will provide storage space.

There are quite a number of period looking vanity units about at the moment. Nowhere near as expensive as the one cathcustard has linked to - we're having the whole bathroom redone for what that costs! Victorian Plumbing have this one, for example.

pinechesterdrawers Sun 26-Jul-15 17:06:00

thanks wow, had heard of victoria plumb bathrooms but not victorian plumbing. is your bathroom victoria plumb - would you recommend?

mapmyface Sun 26-Jul-15 17:19:13

Recently done our family bathroom, we went for floor to head height large rectangle Matt tiles.
Karndean dark wood flooring.
Walk in shower
White gloss vanity unit
White bath with mixer taps
Then painted above the tiles in grey.
Looks simple, and clean and I think it will still look classic when we sell in a few years

Fedupofallthemud Sun 26-Jul-15 18:02:09

dynevoran those tiles are divine! Do you of any stockists in UK? They are pricey enough without adding postage on top!
Or maybe a company doing similar in the UK?

Haggisfish Sun 26-Jul-15 18:05:24

Anyone else doing away with skirting boards in their bathrooms?

wowfudge Sun 26-Jul-15 19:00:54

Our bathroom is a mix of plumbers' merchants, B&Q and Bathshop321. Victorian Plumbing were a company I contacted when it looked as though the bath from B&Q wasn't going to work in the space and I have to say their online chat customer service was excellent.

I got let down by Tapwarehouse when they couldn't supply what I wanted in the timescale they advised, but to be fair to them it was no problem getting a refund. The problem was with the supplier's stock control systems not being up to date.

We are keeping the skirting boards - well replacing them with new ones in the same profile - as they've been mucked about with over the years. All part of keeping/restoring original features for us. We took the 60s flat panel off the room side of the one-over-three bathroom door today. The door underneath is in good nick and I'm stripping the paint off the rim lock, keep and door knobs.

mapmyface Mon 27-Jul-15 07:43:58

We got rid of the skirting boards and have tiled to the flooring. Looks nice and clean

Kitsmummy Mon 27-Jul-15 07:55:53

I'm just about to have Fired Earth East Hampton marble marble with large black limestone flagstones.

I got it all from their Banbury Outlet shop so was all half price. They said they're selling a LOT of marble at the moment.

I'm in a cottage too and think it will look lovely.

Kitsmummy Mon 27-Jul-15 07:58:44

Can anyone share pics of their bathroom without skirting please? I was thinking about doing this too

CorBlimeyTrousers Mon 27-Jul-15 08:07:17

I think fully tiled looks much neater. Here's our bathroom. Storage very important. Ours is (unsurprisingly) more cluttered now than in this picture than when we first had it done but much less cluttered than it was before when we had less storage.

NatashaGurdin Mon 27-Jul-15 08:59:50

My bathroom was completely re-done a couple of years ago. The cupboard next to it was knocked though to make it bigger (as the original one was tiny) and it was completely tiled floor to ceiling in large (30cm by 40cm) sand coloured textured tiles, no skirting boards as I dislike them and think they are just dust magnets and my house is only approx 40 years old anyway. The floor tiles are the same colour as the walls but are 40cm by 40cm and are lined up on the matching side but the walls have a light grout and the floor has a dark grout as the floor gets dirtier in everyday use and would discolour easily if a light coloured grout was used (suggestion of the builders as I hadn't even thought of this!)

All the sanitaryware and furniture is white and glossy white and came from Victoria Plumb who were okay and when I needed a new part for my cistern recently send it FoC by courier without quibbling within a couple of days of my call. The only slight problem I've had with their stuff is that the toilet seat could do with being replaced as it is a bit loose but it has proved impossible to find a seat from anywhere else because of the shape of the toilet but because of the problem with the cistern I now know who their suppliers are so I might try them direct, it's not a big problem anyway more of an irritating one.

The toilet and sink vanity unit are a combined one with a mirror above.

The bath is a 'P shaped' one as it has a shower over one end and the shower head is a large square one that is fixed in place although it has a hand spray for hair washing etc and a shower door that you can swing out of the way if you want to use the hand spray. I would have just had a shower but there wasn't room for a walk in one because of the position of the window and I was persuaded that if I ever wished to sell, the bath still being there would be useful.

I am currently having my downstairs toilet refurbished (it had all the original sanitaryware which was past its best) and it has been completely retiled in white tiles (25cm by 33cm) but they have a 'bumpy' surface and they reflect the light so it doesn't look clinical at all. The room is very small so there is only room for a really small vanity unit (which has also come from Victoria Plumb as no one else seemed to do one small enough!) This time the toilet and sink are also white but the top of the cistern is dark grey and will match the flooring which will be dark grey (I didn't know this until it was done as I thought it would be white but I really like it and would have chosen it myself anyway).

The bathroom has teal accessories like bath mats/towels/soap dish etc and some silk flowers as well as one real plant in black pot covers and I have a white stone effect seahorse on a stand and a large silver decal of a seahorse (I really like seahorses) on one wall. I found some white ceramic towel rails that have flat shelves at the top so they have colour coded baskets for members of the family sitting on them. The teal and black stuff would be easy to change if I wanted to.

The toilet is going to have black towels and a white mat and some black, white and silver accessories but again these would be easy to change if I wanted to.

As part of the toilet refurb I have had the stopcock replaced with a Surestop button as the stopcock was completely seized up as is often the case because you hopefully only need to turn it off in an emergency! My plumbers said they have fitted a few recently and I feel happier with it because I have a problem with my wrist that would make turning off a rusted stopcock in an emergency quite difficult.

My bathroom tiles are a similar colour to the ones in CorBlimey's photo. I also wanted a lot of storage so I got a drawer unit and a cupboard and the toilet/vanity unit combi have a cupboard under the sink and a narrow one to the side of the mirror.

I'm still really pleased with the way the bathroom looks and I can see that the toilet is going to look equally good even though it is not finished yet.

wowfudge Mon 27-Jul-15 09:55:48

If you look on Houzz Kitsmummy there are loads of bathroom pics with no skirtings - just search for tiled bathrooms. We are having wood look Karndean type flooring so think skirting boards work better then none. Where walls and floor are tiled then I think no skirtings works better. It's a bit too hotel like for my taste though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now