Talk

Advanced search

Barking/Dagenham

(14 Posts)
3littlefrogs Fri 24-Jul-15 17:13:07

Is this a good area to look for a first home?
Working in London, but can't afford to buy anywhere near work, so looking to commute.
Is it a nice place to live?

WorraLiberty Fri 24-Jul-15 17:18:06

Speaking from personal experience, Barking really isn't a nice place to live. In fact I won't even shop there any more.

Dagenham has nice parts and not so nice parts.

I'd say the Becontree area is probably best, especially Valence ward, heading towards Goodmayes.

smokedgarlic Fri 24-Jul-15 17:24:04

I know Barking really well and it's pretty horrible but may be ripe for eventual gentrification . I would look at the areas in the catchment for Barking Abbey secondary . You can get some lovely houses with big gardens for your money though.

3littlefrogs Fri 24-Jul-15 17:25:36

OK - thanks.
I am looking for somewhere at an affordable (!) price nearish a station or tube line to make Kings Cross accessible. I realise it will have to be a long way out. I am looking tentatively at Barking, all the way round to Amersham - but Amersham looks more expensive.

I will have a look at Becontree.

smokedgarlic Fri 24-Jul-15 17:28:45

If you give an idea of budget and what you want ideally we might be able to make a better selection for you .

WorraLiberty Fri 24-Jul-15 17:29:24

Becontree has Chadwell Heath station, which will take you straight to Liverpool Street.

Or you could take a short bus ride to Dagenham Heathway station, which is underground.

3littlefrogs Fri 24-Jul-15 17:29:38

2 bedroom flat, up to £250K.

WorraLiberty Fri 24-Jul-15 17:31:36

Jeez you could get a really nice 3 bed semi house for less than £230k in Dagenham...not sure about Barking but imagine it's similar.

3littlefrogs Fri 24-Jul-15 17:37:20

Well - £250 is the absolute max, provided I can get a mortgage! Obviously, would prefer a cheaper property, but I am just starting to look around.
London prices are so ridiculous - it is hard to know how far out I need to be looking.

Friend has just announced she is buying a 3 bedroom house in Manchester for £80K. It is really hard to know what is reasonable these days!

3littlefrogs Fri 24-Jul-15 17:38:00

Sorry that should be £250K, not £250. grin

WorraLiberty Fri 24-Jul-15 19:46:15

You might get one for £250 in Newham! grin

3littlefrogs Fri 24-Jul-15 20:54:04

I did live in Newham briefly about 30 years ago. For about 2 weeks. I moved back to squatting at a friend's flat because I was really scared about coming back after a late shift. I guess it hasn't improved then?

smokedgarlic Fri 24-Jul-15 21:57:55

Newham is much more desirable now due to the Westfield effect . You could definitely get a house in Romford or Dagenham with your budget .

Yellowaveo59 Fri 24-Jul-15 22:05:07

I would consider Rainham, South Hornchurch or Romford with your budget. All have tube or train stations for travel to London. Dagenham is starting to look very neglected. If you want a bit of lifestyle with bars, restaurants etc go towards Hornchurch there are not many p,aces to go out for meals etc in Dagenham.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now