Talk

Advanced search

Lovely, neutral, not expensive kitchen wall tiles?

(10 Posts)
Belleview Fri 24-Jul-15 09:06:39

I'm thinking shaker kitchen painted in bluey green, with wooden worktop and white sink. Have a wooden floor and French doors.
Victorian house, sunny room.

Now I need tiles for splashbacks. I love bluey green and I love warm neutrals, stone, cream. I like the idea of larger tiles, so less grout. Maybe using floor tiles. Or using metro tiles that tone in a soft set of neutral colours.

I know there are some very knowledgable tile people here, please kindly share your ideas and findings. I'm in the planning stage so very open to ideas.

Celia1978 Fri 24-Jul-15 09:20:00

Look at the Belleza range from Topps Tiles. Nice muted colours. Bigger than metro tiles but you can tile them in brick patterns.

Lelivre Fri 24-Jul-15 16:01:24

I've found it overwhelming going to tile shops or browsing online, then I finally find something I like and they are £699 m2. So what has helped is to go during quiet times with some info on the room (swatch/photo) and ask for help with an indication of budget. These people should know their stock and costs and point you in the right direction, giving you some options. This way I have found some affordable tiles at original style and fired earth.

wowfudge Fri 24-Jul-15 16:07:17

When you say not expensive, what is your budget? Do you know how many square metres you need?

I bagged a bargain for something that would fit the bill recently, but that was compared to the price in Topps - just under £30 psm as opposed to £53 in Topps.

wildstrawberryplace Fri 24-Jul-15 16:10:45

How about these crackle glaze tiles? They are really lovely, the crackle glaze gives them visual interest but they remain neutral. You need to seal them with a crackle glaze sealant but they are then suitable for splashbacks. These tiles are the exact same ones they sell in Fired Earth for about 4 times the price (I have sample from both places and they are identical, the backs are stamped from the same manufacturer in Spain). They have lovely bluey greens but the off whites and pale greys are nice too.

wildstrawberryplace Fri 24-Jul-15 16:16:54

Just to add they Fired Earth Retro Metro tiles.
Retro Metro

SaulGood Fri 24-Jul-15 16:19:36

Our kitchen is in a bluey, green sort of colour and our tiles are a bit like the ones linked by wild but ours aren't crackle glazed and have a shade more grey to them but a nice warm colour still. They look good either brick tiled or tiled so they are vertical iyswim. We got them in Homebase iirc.

MrsJamin Sat 25-Jul-15 18:49:51

Are you sure you need tiles? If you have wooden worktops they look great with co-ordinated upstands and it's a lot cheaper.

Belleview Sun 26-Jul-15 08:56:48

Is an upstand actually sufficient? They do look nice, but I'm used to tiles and imagine the wall will get dirty? Surely you need tiles behind the hob and the sink, no? How no? Explain!

Tomorrow I'll calculate exactly how much tiling I need, which will make budget easier to figure out.

I do love the crackle glaze and fired earth, yes, and, like LeLivre, I also find that I love v v expensive tiles. Somebody linked to some Swedish tiles here recently that were so gorgeous, but very pricey. I did wonder if I could cut down the amount I needed in order to use them. But then..... I have to step back and wonder if I'm getting kitchen-head-lunacy and losing perspective.
Iykwim.

Sunnyshores Sun 26-Jul-15 13:47:43

We've has 2 kitchens with upstands (granite but that doesnt make any difference), you can get different heights. We used a piece of granite behind the hob too, but the sink was just an upstand to the window sill. Worked really well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now