Talk

Advanced search

Help... Advice on induction versus gas on a range cooker

(11 Posts)
sheffscan4 Thu 23-Jul-15 22:08:02

Are in the middle of a large building project and are now at the stage where final decisions about kitchen appliances need to be made. Have pretty much decided to go for the rangemaster excel 110, but really can't decide on whether to go for induction or the dual fuel. Has anyone got this range that can comment, or any recent converts to induction? We have always had gas, but people tell me that induction is safer, cleaner, cheaper....(apart from the new pans). Any advice about induction versus gas would be great. I've seen an older thread on this, but would love to hear recent opinion.

OnePlanOnHouzz Fri 24-Jul-15 08:35:58

You might not need new pans - if a magnet sticks to the bottom of your pan it should work on induction .

Treat induction like it was gas when cooking and you will be fine.
It's not like electric - ie gradual with heat lingering - it's as adjustable as gas !
Much easier to keep clean !!!
Mines a falcon - We're out in the sticks so no gas here except bottled - was a no brained for us - no complaints at all from me ! its brilliant ! Won't be going back to gas even if it was piped in !!!

ScoopyDoo Fri 24-Jul-15 09:03:44

Just changed from gas to induction and love it so far. Most of my pans were fine so didn't have that expense.
I don't see too much of a difference, maybe things come to a boil more quickly but the responsiveness is as good as a gas hob. I agree it's much less of a faff to clean.
You can use timers on the 'burners' as well, but I cannot imagine ever doing that.

limesoda Fri 24-Jul-15 12:27:42

I have been going over and over and over this recently, and think gas JUST has it for me. HOWEVER the main reason is that I run a catering business from home, and use the hob so much I can't help but think that I would end up scratching induction too much. While it is a business, it is also our home, and I already have to work quite hard to keep it looking pretty as well as practical. If I didn't have the business, induction would probably win. Induction might also win if the really super good ones weren't so expensive.

Pros of induction seem to be that its fast, safe, cheaper to run and easier to clean

Gas means I can cook directly in the flame (charring aubergines, chapatis, peppers) and don't have the scatching issue. We'll also have a boiling water tap so speed of water coming to a boil doesn't matter quite so much

sheffscan4 Fri 24-Jul-15 18:35:23

Thanks all! Went back to the showroom and had a good look as well as a demo of induction in action and have decided to bite the bullet and go induction.

dayslikethis Fri 24-Jul-15 18:44:09

We are also looking at getting some work done in our kitchen and are deciding between a rangemaster (the toledo FS I think it's called - it's the built in side-by-side double one) and an Aga (the Masterchef XL). Both give us the option of induction or gas for the hob. I love the ease of cleaning for an induction, but for me gas pips the post - partly because I just like it, but also partly because if there is a power-cut you can still cook something or heat water for a cuppa! I remember as a child we were one of the only ones in our street with a gas hob and when there was a power cut half the neighbours were in our house!

LittlePoot Fri 24-Jul-15 20:26:14

Yay - go induction! You too will marvel at how quickly it can make water boil.... As a recent convert, I agree it's as adjustable as gas but a bit different to get used to at first. But the miraculous 90 second boiling and the fact the whole thing can wipe clean with nothing more than a damp ecloth more than makes up for the learning.

Whatdoiknow31 Fri 24-Jul-15 22:56:26

A friend bought a Rangemaster Elise induction top about 18mths - 2yrs ago. Was I jealous? It's gorgeous! However the induction top 'blew' - thankfully replaced under warranty otherwise would have been very expensive. Now two door handles are coming off. So I'm not sure the build quality is there anymore, or my friend is unlucky and hers was made on a Friday!
Still a gorgeous looking cooker though!

Marmitelover55 Fri 24-Jul-15 23:02:40

Very personal opinion but I think induction on a range cooker just looks wrong. We faced this decision last year and I'm glad I chose our lovely gas range cooker!

MrsTaraPlumbing Sat 25-Jul-15 07:16:45

Every one I know loves induction and would not want to go back.

I understand about the need for gas ring for somethings and one cook we know has 1 separate gas ring fitted in addition to the induction hob.

Bostonpj Sat 25-Jul-15 14:32:09

On no whatdoiknow31! We've just finished our kitchen project and installed a Rangemaster Elise 100! I was just coming on to comment how amazing it is. I love the induction hob and the multi function oven but now I'm wondering if we should now also be paying for an extended warranty.

Definitely induction through - love it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now