Talk

Advanced search

Radiator question - rust

(6 Posts)
wowfudge Thu 23-Jul-15 09:56:23

Currently the bathroom radiator is off as the wall is being tiled. It's a double radiator like the one in the pic. It is very rusty on the bottom edge towards one of the valves for about a 5 inch stretch - the original paint coating is coming away on either side of the rust.

It's worse on the inside edge which is against the wall when it's hung and connected although you can see a small amount of rust on the part that faces the room. Is this something to worry about? Should I sand it/treat it in some way? Should we look at replacing it? It must be over 10 years old.

wowfudge Thu 23-Jul-15 09:56:57

Forgot the pic - d'oh

specialsubject Thu 23-Jul-15 13:05:19

replace it. At 10 years old it is probably clogged solid, and painting radiators never works.

To Screwfix!!

wowfudge Thu 23-Jul-15 14:42:53

To be fair to the rad it doesn't show signs of being silted up when in operation. I suspect it's location next to the loo may be related to the corrosion (yuck). Do I take it that replacing it now is to prevent a future leak if it corrodes through?

wowfudge Sun 26-Jul-15 13:08:46

Just to update on this I asked about primer for satinwood paint yesterday and Piglet John (who really should write a book) advised to use rust remover if there was any rust on the radiator I planned to paint, a preventive metal primer (which prevents rust) and then the satinwood. DP was adamant we didn't need a new rad!

Anyway, the rust remover on steel wool very easily took the rust off down to the metal. It was only superficial and looked worse than it actually was. I've sanded off the loose bits of the original white coating and will prime and paint. As it's the bottom edge I doubt it will noticeable.

catkind Sun 26-Jul-15 13:11:28

Ah you're sorted then. Bathroom radiators in both houses I've owned have got a bit rusty. It's a damp environment. Both been fine after sanding and a lick of paint.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now