Talk

Advanced search

New plug sockets - AIBU?

(17 Posts)
BovrilonToast Wed 22-Jul-15 19:25:19

We're having some electrical work done and the electrician was not impressed about being asked to make good the area where the socket had been chipped out...

We're paying a decent amount for a lot of work to be done. I would have thought finishing off the socket would be standard, so AIBU??

Gobbolinothewitchscat Wed 22-Jul-15 19:27:13

Did the quote or estimate include making good?

Also, make sure he doesn't do a bodge round it with polyfilla if it's in an obvious place

BovrilonToast Wed 22-Jul-15 19:32:04

It doesn't specifically say making good - but as we are paying £80 per socket I would have expected it to be made good... I should have checked I suppose, but at that cost I just expected it to be included!

TheTravellingLemon Wed 22-Jul-15 19:34:15

£80 a socket? <faints>. Yes, I would expect it to be made good for that money.

wowfudge Wed 22-Jul-15 19:35:24

We had some extra sockets out in in our living room a couple of years ago. I remember the electrician got his mate who was a plasterer to make good as he said his skills weren't up to it and he needed to practise, but not on our house! He didn't charge us any more though.

Gobbolinothewitchscat Wed 22-Jul-15 19:41:49

£80 a socket?!?!

We are having a loft conversion done at the moment ant it's £40 per socket and Spotlight. We're in Cheshire. Are these London prices?

That is extortionate. Yes - I think you should say to him that given the cost, you had assumed making good was included. But, if you think he'll bodge it in visible areas, I would think twice

BovrilonToast Wed 22-Jul-15 20:32:40

I'm in the south east - so pretty much London prices. Trying to get tradesmen to even quote is difficult...

I've made my expectations clear in an email.... with photos.

He's done a lot of work so if he wants his money he'll have to sort it out!

BovrilonToast Wed 22-Jul-15 20:32:42

I'm in the south east - so pretty much London prices. Trying to get tradesmen to even quote is difficult...

I've made my expectations clear in an email.... with photos.

He's done a lot of work so if he wants his money he'll have to sort it out!

lighteningirl Wed 22-Jul-15 20:39:56

Sorry but making good is not his job unless specified as included in price

BovrilonToast Wed 22-Jul-15 20:46:32

Really, so when you pay someone to chisel out your wall and fit a new socket you would expect them to fill the holes they make?!!

BackforGood Wed 22-Jul-15 20:56:09

I'm with the <fainting> at £80 per socket shock shock shock

I'd expect them to decorate and everything for that. Of course it should be 'made good'.

Marmitelover55 Wed 22-Jul-15 22:53:46

I'm not sure making good would be included as that will probably need a plasterer and/or decorator. Luckily they chased it into wall rather than supplying trunking as happened to us hmm

PigletJohn Thu 23-Jul-15 00:26:15

Did you make your "expectations" clear before or after establishing the price? Have you already had the electrical work done but not paid for it?

There is no reason to think electricians are competent decorators or plasterers, and quotations for electrical work are usually for electrical work, unless something extra has been specifically included.

Gobbolinothewitchscat Thu 23-Jul-15 09:00:56

I've just asked our electrician - making good not included in the cost. If it was a light switch and he could easily seal around it, that would be no problem. If more messy (eg new socket etc) then he would expect a plasterer or decorator to be brought in to deal with it as he actually couldn't make a very good job of it

BovrilonToast Thu 23-Jul-15 09:46:48

Fair enough. It would have been nice if he'd mentioned it first!

All the other electrical work I've had done over the years had been made good... I guess I just got lucky!

lighteningirl Thu 23-Jul-15 13:49:18

And not paying him prob not a good idea ok if you the safety cert Comanche thingy to be honest electricians are amongst the most expensive trade if you can find one who only charges £40 a socket hang onto him

lighteningirl Thu 23-Jul-15 13:49:50

Compliance not comanche

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now