Talk

Advanced search

Is this a reasonable quote to decorate my hallway?

(13 Posts)
ILoveApples Wed 22-Jul-15 11:38:29

I've been given an estimate in writing (will ask for it to be a quote) to paint my hallway for £1600. Hall is medium to large with 13 doors and high stairwell which will all be painted, two coats, in white (Dulux trade on walls & ceiling and satin wood on doors) so no cutting in as I want to keep it as simple as possible . The price includes paint. I live in the home counties. Does this sound reasonable as I don't have a clue? Thanks.

wowfudge Wed 22-Jul-15 11:43:33

I think you are wrong to say there will be no cutting in: it's what you do with emulsion up to all woodwork, so all skirtings, picture rails, architraves.

But get at least one other quote.

Bearbehind Wed 22-Jul-15 11:55:13

It depends how much wood there is- do you have banisters or is the staircase itself mainly solid walls?

I've heard that the rule of thumb is £40 per door side for painting so you're over £500 in doors alone.

autumnboys Wed 22-Jul-15 12:02:18

We had our hall stairs (with high stair well) and landing done for about £800. 13 door frames, but not the doors. 30 spindles, 5 newel posts. We used a colour on the walls, white for architrave, coving and ceiling. We're in the southeast.

0ddsocks Wed 22-Jul-15 12:03:25

We've just been quoted £1000 for similar job but only 8 doors so sounds like the same ballpark but a little more expensive. We are getting another quote tomorrow

0ddsocks Wed 22-Jul-15 12:04:18

If your quote includes VAT then it's very close to ours in fact (mine didn't)

ILoveApples Wed 22-Jul-15 12:16:11

Thanks for the quick replies! Sorry, forgot to mention spindle banister that runs the whole length of the staircase plus about 1.5m across the landing, 32 spindles in total.
I suppose £500 for doors plus £800 for walls etc. that Bear & Autumn mentioned would leave about £200 for paint.

ILoveApples Wed 22-Jul-15 12:21:05

He's not VAT registered 0dd. Had another quote for £1625 + VAT.

mandy214 Wed 22-Jul-15 14:40:20

Our quotes were about £800-£1000 inc VAT for just walls (no woodlwrok or doors) supplying our own paint (not particularly big hall & stairs (about 8 doors off) so I think that is very good. We are in the NW.

verystressedmum Wed 22-Jul-15 14:46:03

shock I got a quote to do hall stairs and landing, banisters, newel posts, skirting, architraves, living room, kitchen and utility room for £500!! The painter is recommended so not just someone out of the yellow pages. I'm in NI which may make a difference? But it's still some difference in price.

gamerchick Wed 22-Jul-15 14:49:31

80 quid a door?! I'm in the wrong job me!

verystressedmum Wed 22-Jul-15 14:58:28

Also he's doing the spindles on stairs and ceilings.
In fact he's doing the whole house including doors also wooden window frames outside for £850.
I think I'm going to train as a painter (or whatever you do to become a painter) and move to a different area!! grin

cuntycowfacemonkey Wed 22-Jul-15 15:02:00

Sounds about right to me with that amount of woodwork and there will be cutting in to do, even if walls and ceilings are both white. Presumably woodwork will require sanding and undercoat?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now