Advanced search

Anyone offer advice on how to progress sale; offer accepted october 2014

(18 Posts)
megabelle Tue 21-Jul-15 22:12:21

Apologies if long winded.

Background: my property is now being sold to my BIL/SIL with gifted deposit, first time buyers, no chain. Problem is solicitor acting for purchaser (BIL/SIL) keeps giving delays after delays, not to mention the lies about waiting for seller's (mine) solicitor to answer queries. As we are quite close so have kept each informed of progress, e.g as soon as queries have been raised to my solicitor I am aware and have swiftly ensured that my solicitor has the answer or has dealt with all enquiries, but no matter how quickly enquiries are answered, the standard answer is "waiting response from sellers solicitor" which is a blatant lie, as I then get on to my solicitor who says that she has responded and copies me into a further follow up.

Any advice as to how we can progress this solicitor to get to at least exchange ? I realise things take time and sols have to ensure all factors are covered but this is a purchase only and no chain, not to mention the family connection.

Rant over!

Idefix Wed 22-Jul-15 06:29:25

Bil and sil need to get a new solictor.

Idefix Wed 22-Jul-15 06:30:51

Unless you think it might Bil and sil who are requesting the delays? Cold Feet?

petalsandstars Wed 22-Jul-15 06:41:51

Change solicitor (ils) - I sold mine in Nov 14 and completed in Feb 15. With 3 in a chain. This is ridiculous

FishWithABicycle Wed 22-Jul-15 06:52:06

Useless solicitor. New one needed. Will obviously cost fees again but that's better than accepting shoddy service. Unless as idefix says your bil and sil are actually wanting this delay.

wowfudge Wed 22-Jul-15 07:08:45

Sorry - as others have posted either your purchasers are stalling and are not being honest with you or their solicitor is useless.

CheeseBaguette Wed 22-Jul-15 09:16:42

Blimey! Someone somewhere is taking the absolute piss.

I would start with a frank chat with your ils and ask them if they have any doubts/definately are keen to proceed/need more time (for what??) etc etc.

If you are sure it is not them stalling then they need to sack their solicitor.

We did a no chain sale in 4 weeks. On average I think a sale takes about 12 weeks/ish to go through. Not 9 months!

hereandtherex Wed 22-Jul-15 11:01:59


megabelle Wed 22-Jul-15 20:14:35

Thank you for all your replies, spoke to my SIL today who is still very keen and very upset at the delays, they want to move in ASAP as they are still having to pay rent, and want to get DC settled into new schools, so honestly don't think it's them. However, my solicitor has today sent another letter to chase and ask why the delay. im even getting to the point of calling their solicitor direct myself and asking what the delay but have been advised by my solicitor against this.

Lucy61 Wed 22-Jul-15 20:21:13

As I understand it, the slow solicitor is acting for your Bil/SIL. I can't believe that your SIL / Bil are letting this go on! Most keen buyers would have sacked the solicitor by now or have been calling daily to push things along. I think it's time you spoke with them as 9 months is just ridiculous!

megabelle Wed 22-Jul-15 20:30:39

Forgot to add, their solicitor advised yesterday that she has referred gifted deposit back to the bank, as "she has never dealt with a gifted deposit before". However mortgage was specially arranged by a financial adviser due to having the gifted deposit. Bank advised they have now referred it to their underwriters! Financial adviser says that he is confident this shouldnt be a problem as mortgage application included this detail upfront. This has been known all along but due to the 5 changes in solicitors acting in the purchase (at the same company) and one of them even asked for a copy of the letter sent with mortgage application from the gifter (SIL parents), with signed letter and copies of statements showing funds available, no mention that this would present a problem. So yet another delay. My poor SIL is starting to have a nervous breakdown (let alone me) at this state of affairs.

megabelle Wed 22-Jul-15 20:39:55

SIL calls the solicitor twice a day and is fobbed off by "taking a message" and "she will call you back". Which never seems to happen. BIL works away and daily contacts sol by email and responses are ignored. I can't believe that this is so complicated, it's a straight forward sale with little issues, I've offered all the information possible, had all the checks on gch and electrics etc sorted, survey was fine, no issues. Really running out of ideas of his to help. I know they should sack their solicitor but can see their hesitancy due to costs etc, but it's six of one and half a dozen of the other and if they stop now and have to start again the mortgage offer will need to be extended and cause more delays!

GiddyOnZackHunt Wed 22-Jul-15 20:44:31

Our buyers changed solicitor about 5 ,weeks before we were all hoping to move because their solicitor was being useless. We thought it might scupper the date but the new solicitor was like greased lightning, our solicitor was very pleased. All went through as planned.
You need them to change solicitor.

PrimalLass Wed 22-Jul-15 20:55:38

We had a solicitor like that. He ended up losing his firm and was in deep trouble because he had not registered the deeds of lots of houses with the land registry. Very nice but utterly useless.

aliciagardner Wed 22-Jul-15 20:56:03

What exactly is the hold up? SIL needs to call solicitor tomorrow morning and tell them that no further queries are to be raised; contracts are to be sent through by the end of the week latest to your solicitor. If that is not feasible, she needs to ask why and ensure that the reasons given are valid. Searches should have been done long ago -if not, she should instruct the solicitor to proceed without further delay. Mortgage should surely be sorted by now (and solicitor not involved in this anyway). Does SIL understand what's needed/ basic process? If not, make sure she knows enough to question the solicitor. SIL needs to drive it forward and get tough where needed.

The solicitor sounds terrible!

megabelle Wed 22-Jul-15 22:06:37

Thanks for all your support, much appreciated. Glad to know that I'm not just being the pushy seller! Never thought I was but just in case. Will keep you posted. smile

chairmeoh Wed 22-Jul-15 22:44:02

If I were SIL, I'd be demanding to speak with the senior partner and getting them to investigate the delay.
Something isn't right here.

CheeseBaguette Thu 23-Jul-15 17:32:19

Just come back to see if you have made any progress.

The more I think about this the more I think something is very wrong. I would be worrying about the solicitors competence. There really is no reason that you would not be very very aware of - as to why it has taken this long. This isnt just taking a few weeks longer than normal. You are talking 9 months. Something is very wrong somewhere.

Agree with chairmeoh - speak to senior partner and or just sack the current solicitor and find a new one. Even starting from scratch would be quicker than carrying on with the curent solicitor.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: