Talk

Advanced search

Sash window paint colour

(10 Posts)
hangoninaminute Tue 21-Jul-15 12:03:58

I'm going round and round in circles trying to find a suitable colour for my windows. They are south facing so when we do have sun it's in full sun. They're currently white and it looks a bit stark. The house is old red brick (1800's period house). I started finding a light cream but the samples all gave me too white or too cream. I've come across timeless and whilst it's a lovely colour inside it just looks white outside. I've also tried gardenia which looks lovely outside but looks like yellowed white gloss inside. I was hoping to be 'clever' with all the other paintwork inside (skirtings, doors) as we have lots and thought about different tones of white for windows and inside woodwork but coming across nice shades is very tricky. 10 sample pots later I'm starting to go mad. Please can anyone help?

Belleview Wed 22-Jul-15 12:23:47

You are trying to paint the exterior window frames the same colour as the interior, is that what you are saying?

snowaccidentprone Wed 22-Jul-15 12:36:39

Try Johnstons trade paints. They can colour match any shade. Even from a photo. And I believe will mix up a sample so you can try it first.

snowaccidentprone Wed 22-Jul-15 12:37:31

I think a chalk white may be what you are looking for.

atticusclaw Wed 22-Jul-15 12:38:43

I'd not be concerned about having the same shade outside and in.

hangoninaminute Wed 22-Jul-15 14:34:33

Yes, a chalk white would be perfect.

Not doing different shades for outside and inside windows. All the same. But skirtings and doors could be different.

I've been colour matching with Dulux but not found the right shade yet.

I'll keep going! Thanks for your replies.

OliviaBenson Wed 22-Jul-15 19:56:43

I've got gardenia on the outside of our similar aged red brick house, but inside I just paint to match in with the room decoration (and match in the doors/skirting).

I think you may be struggling as you want it to serve both indoors and outdoors. The same colour will look totally different due to light. Is there a specific reason you want it all the same?

atticusclaw Wed 22-Jul-15 20:09:19

Thats also why I wouldn't aim for one colour Olivia. The light inside a room will make a massive difference to the way the colour reads.

I think the inside needs to match the doors and skirting.

hangoninaminute Thu 23-Jul-15 10:21:54

If I could have a different colour inside and out then it would be far easier. But the design of the windows will just make it look very odd with a very distinct change in colour.

bilbodog Thu 23-Jul-15 11:23:56

I discovered DH White sometime ago and use this for any paintwork I want white - but it has some yellow in it so it softens it so it isn't a bright white and looks good on old houses - we are in a Victorian Cottage at the moment and we have used it for all the outside paintwork along with F & C Churlish Green on the window ledges and doors - looks gorgeous! I always use Johnstones paint which we get mixed to whatever colour we want (including F & B).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now