Talk

Advanced search

Does ANYONE 'register' as a buyer any more?

(20 Posts)
Draylon Mon 20-Jul-15 21:34:01

Just reading the Home Owners Alliance site suggesting that if you list with multiple agencies, the 'advantage' is that 'you'll reach more registered buyers'. Is this 1996??

Surely everyone has alerts set up on Rightmove and contacts the agent of a house they like the look of!

I am actually surprised at the stance taken by an allegedly impartial site, implying that 'the more agencies, the better', rather than- 'are they on Rightmove and Zoopla?' - end of. I know where I'd look if I were looking to buy, and it wouldn't be via the local High Street office of Smarm and Squirm, Estate Agents! How could you possibly reach 'a smaller number of clients if you go Sole Agency', assuming the vast majority of modern buyers are on the World's Wide Interweb! <sic>

I'd've thought checking how quickly they post on there would be your first question!

Idefix Mon 20-Jul-15 21:43:42

Ummm we did op hmm
May be it didn't lead to more houses being found to view but it did allow us to initiate a rapport with the ea.

reynoldsnumber Mon 20-Jul-15 21:48:37

You do it if you are serious, so you hear about new places coming on the market first. That's how we got out current house. No-one else saw it because we got in first!

specialsubject Mon 20-Jul-15 21:52:38

yes. Houses take a few days to get on rightmove and registered buyers get informed more quickly. I'm sitting where I am because I was a registered buyer. And no, we are not in London!

HarrietSchulenberg Mon 20-Jul-15 22:14:42

As others said, house details are circulated to registered buyers before going on Rightmove etc. in the hope of avoiding listing fees for those sites. A great house in a popular area might never reach those sites.

Floundering Mon 20-Jul-15 22:20:08

I work in an EA's as admin, we like to register potential buyers so we know exactly what they are looking for and can advise on areas to suit that they not have thought of.

Also as pp say sometimes we point buyers to a new property before a board goes up, it's not just all about Right Move although that's the obvious start.

mysteryfairy Mon 20-Jul-15 23:09:58

My lovely forever house went on Rightmove as sold subject to contract. Estate agent sent me round before photos or measuring up and I bought it!

CrispyFB Tue 21-Jul-15 00:06:06

We bought the house before this one (2004) by being on a mailing list before the property hit the search sites. Email in the evening, viewed it the next day, offer accepted before it was even posted on their website let alone the rest.

I can't imagine much has changed.

PlainHunting Tue 21-Jul-15 07:55:00

It's a huge thing here with period properties. The best houses typically sell before making it on to RightMove.

Lonecatwithkitten Tue 21-Jul-15 08:00:03

Typically sale round here never makes it to rightmove. Our current market is contact registered buyers, made available 9am viewings, sealed bids by 5pm that day. Last week a very ordinary property put on at 350 went for over 400 due situation here. Definitely not London.

TheEmpressofBlandings Tue 21-Jul-15 09:33:53

Yes we registered too and heard about houses before they were on the market sometimes, and definitely before they reached rightmove.
Didn't stop me trawling rightmove several times a day of course! But by the time we found a house we were registered with all the local agents.

Spydra Tue 21-Jul-15 14:04:20

We did register - but if you are going to, buy a cheap PAYG mobile and give out that number.The amount of spam calls, estate agents, insurance companies, PPI and free boiler calls....

Still, ours went up as SSTC so it was worth it.

YouCanDanceIfYouWantTo Tue 21-Jul-15 16:31:19

We registered. Went round in person to every EA in the area.

Sure I got a fair few phone calls of agents who hadn't really considered what we needed but it was definitely worth it as I saw things as soon as they went on the market, before they were on any websites.

Was also good because I knew which agents were great at their jobs and would only call with properties that we liked so I could field calls pretty well.

If the house we're currently buying goes through I'll definitely be making the trek to each office again!

ixos Tue 21-Jul-15 16:53:50

It seems registering advantages the buyers rather than the sellers then?

Lonecatwithkitten Tue 21-Jul-15 16:55:15

Though if you sell in under 24 hours surely that is a great advantage.

sianihedgehog Tue 21-Jul-15 21:23:35

Yes. Some EAs here ring you with properties before they hit the open market if you register with them. At least one also actively promotes you to sellers as well.

Draylon Wed 22-Jul-15 15:17:41

I don't think our place will sell in 24 hours, somehow! It won't be 'sealed bids'!

It's hard to categorise as we are selling quite a lot of thin air potential in that it's a smallish house on a big plot on a rural road where most of the houses have been extensively remodelled and extended, so I don't think we'll necessarily be pounced upon as it is maybe a smaller market, the extender.

Lonecatwithkitten Wed 22-Jul-15 15:45:35

Round here that would be prime pouncing material everyone is looking for a property they can add value to.

TremoloGreen Wed 22-Jul-15 15:46:20

Hmmm. It's not really like that round here (small commuter town, v hot market). I've 'registered' with every agent in town, they never call me or actually do anything although one or two do send me an automated email now and again for something totally unsuitable... and I'm a desperate, cash buyer!

There are so many keen buyers here that EAs don't really have to so anything, they stick the property on rightmove, organise an open day for a week or two ahead and then the house geta multiple offers, usually going for over asking unless the asking price is ridiculous. If I was selling a property here, I definitely wouldn't bother paying for a high street agent, I would just use hatched or purple bricks.

Draylon Wed 22-Jul-15 17:24:24

The house is on the Hants/Wilts border, rural.

We were looking at purplebricks but have decided to go with an EA to cut some hassle (it's a deceased estate,so, frankly, we're all going to do okay out of it!). He's going to do an appointment Open House in mid August which isn't the best time to sell, but it will let us know whether our 'guide price' is in the ballpark.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now