Talk

Advanced search

Drawbacks of second hand new build

(21 Posts)
lampshady Mon 20-Jul-15 15:57:49

We're thinking of putting an offer on this house:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-53434862.html

Built in 2011 and now selling. Please may people tell me the disadvantages of buying a nearly but not quite new build? We're in an area with lots of Edwardian and Victorian houses, which I prefer, but they come on the market so rarely and are often bought then converted into flats.

Don't know the reason for the sale but will enquire.

Any advice welcome as we're first time buyers.

achieve15 Mon 20-Jul-15 16:10:13

I'm in a not quite new build flat. The only disadvantage I had shouldn't apply to you - the management of the block hadn't quite sorted itself into the yearly cycle and what not.

other than that, I think it's good - someone else will have experienced any snags and fixed them by the time it's "nearly" new. I have heard of new builds having a lot of small things done after the owners have moved in, so you will be spared those.

lampshady Mon 20-Jul-15 16:17:44

Thank you, that's really useful to know. I like how shiny everything is and that we won't need to spend years 'sorting' it, aside from the garden which I'd probably try and lawn. Not sure if I'm being seduced by the newness! According to zoopla it sold for 190k in 2011 but the asking price is about right for now.

If we want it we'd have to move quickly because of how fast the market moves here in that price range. I can't help but think there much be a catch, like noisy neighbours or something.

achieve15 Mon 20-Jul-15 17:04:09

you know legally if they have any neighbour disputes they have to tell you?

I don't know what the insulation will be like between houses but I was surprised how thin the walls are between my flat and next door. the insulation between floors is good, but not great on walls.

check on any insurance cover - e.g. new build policies covering 10 years etc. It's good to know what those costs will be when they run out. Apologies if stating obvious.

lampshady Mon 20-Jul-15 17:19:28

Thank you, none of that was stating the obvious as there's so much I'd never consider. I'm sort of expecting the walls to be thin, in my previous flat we could hear people going to the toilet. Hopefully won't be that bad! Really appreciate your thoughts, I'm so anxious to offer fast as everything goes instantly there's a lot I'd miss.

funchum8am Mon 20-Jul-15 17:27:22

We're currently buying a house built in 2010. So far the main thing that I have discovered is that the builder's warranty lasts 10 years so they are repairing some damp in a storage area for free. Otherwise it seems to be fine; survey not done yet though so we may find out more then.

dixiechick1975 Mon 20-Jul-15 20:19:45

When we sold our 2 year old newbuild (relocation for work) were told by estate agent nearly new newbuild were popular - snagging done, nhbc warranty remains, first buyer has spent on things like carpets, fencing, shed, outdoor tap, loo roll holder etc (things do mount up when you buy a new build nothing left behind by sellers) We sold to first viewer.

Cons you don't get to pick the kitchen/bathroom.

specialsubject Mon 20-Jul-15 20:53:12

wow, that cladding....how long will that last? What is underneath? What maintenance is needed?

what is that no-plant rear garden made of? Flood issues? Which way does it face? Does it actually get any sun?

neighbours? Why are they moving?

like new cars, new builds drop value so they can be a good second-hand buy but also like new cars, they can be a serious case of form over function so tread carefully.

Applesauce29 Mon 20-Jul-15 21:07:21

It looks like a lovely house smile

Main thing with new builds I've found is they tend to be smaller than period properties, and if it is a big development sometimes they don't have the same local amenities like corner shop and takeaway nearby. Also, tends to be mainly young couples and new families, so good if you're planning or have young children.

Peshwari Mon 20-Jul-15 21:20:40

Drawbacks will be largely the same as buying a new build, tiny rooms.

Advantages are that they are generally cheaper as they lose the new build premium although this one looks to have gone up a lot in value if it was bought at a 'new' price in 2011.

imip Mon 20-Jul-15 21:33:49

We brought a house 5 years ago, which was then 10 years old.

Like you, in an area more known for its beautiful period properties, this was priced considerably below those properties. We purchased it off a widow with two teenagers who struggled with maintenance, financial and otherwise, of the property since her partner passed away. This definitely did show and the house needed reprinting. She was very honest about one bathroom leaking and the other that was unusable due to flooding. So the property was veery run down for a new build and we replaced bathrooms and kitchens. Turns out the build quality was super poor also. All problems that could be fixed though.

Despite being new, it still has a box room and small pokey rooms with fire doors and lots of toilets (4 for a 4 br house! Seems not uncommon with a new build). Slowly we've been knocking down walls and making it all open plan.

The advantages are warmth! Our house is warm, warm, warm! After living in a 150 yr old house for years, never really feeling cosy, I just love the warmth of the house.

We are a semi, but we don't get much internal noise from next door, only if they are in their garden. The only internal noise we hear is people bounding down the stairs. We were friends with the previous neighbours who said the same for us. Neither could hear each other's dcs.

While I'd ultimately like to live in a beautifully restored period property, new builds have such advantages, ours is also so very cheap to run in comparison!

ExConstance Mon 20-Jul-15 22:47:12

We bought new, not nearly new but one issue is the same. Sooner or later you will need things done, so don't lull yourself into a sense of false security thinking that is ages away. For us the years have flown by and as we didn't set up a contingency fund for bigger items of maintenance 18 years down the line we are having to save up for each item that needs doing. Suggest you try to put by a couple of thousand a year so that you can afford new doors, windows, kitchens and bathrooms as they need doing.

Bearbehind Tue 21-Jul-15 07:10:32

The house looks lovely and although you don't get to choose the bathroom and kitchen- what it has already is nice.

I'd be really worried about that cladding though- it's a very striking feature- some houses near me have similar and it's going rotten and looks really unsightly. You couldn't change yours without affecting next doors and even if both the stepped forward houses changed at the same time it would look odd compared to the others.

Are there any older houses nearby that have the same cladding so you can gauge how it wears?

lampshady Tue 21-Jul-15 09:41:33

Embarrassingly I had to Google cladding.

We've decided not to offer as although there is more overall floor space than a flat in a converted building, there is less living space. Kitchen is massive but lounge diner wouldn't be practical as quite small.

It's a southerly facing garden on a slight slope so presuming no problems with flooding, but I just didn't get a "wow" vibe from the house at all. Selling due to relationship breakdown, no issues with neighbours etc.

We'd gain an extra bedroom but I'm worried the upstairs would get very hot during summer due to only velux windows. Very close to amenities, public transport and DS' school though.

Would an extra bedroom be worth, despite losing lounge space? Not sure where we'd eat! But then the kitchen is huge....

Also a stone's throw away from a v large park.

If we offer than withdraw will that gain us a black mark with local estate agents?

specialsubject Tue 21-Jul-15 10:11:15

no, but it is messing people about. If you want it, offer, if you don't, say why not and move on.

I've seen plenty of older properties with cladding and it is not a good look. And a very expensive one...

mandy214 Tue 21-Jul-15 12:28:33

The main issue with new builds or nearly new builds is that after a few years, they will generally never increase in value at the same rate as other houses will. Certainly a design as modern as that house can only be modern for a limited period - until the next modern development comes along down the road. And a 7 or 8 year old previously modern house just looks tired and dated. The people who want modern new houses will overlook the older ones because for an extra few thousand pounds, they can get a brand new one where they can potentially choose bathroom / kitchen etc.

The rooms are generally small, the plots are generally small (because the developer wants to squeeze as many on to the estate as he can) and unless the first owners paid for enhancements / improvements to the standard fittings, the kitchen & bathrooms are generally basic.

lampshady Tue 21-Jul-15 12:36:42

Thank you for all advice. We've decided not to offer due to the risks everyone has outlined. Our perfect period property will be out there somewhere!

achieve15 Tue 21-Jul-15 13:59:01

OP, I'm a bit confused. There are no risks that everyone has outlined - in the grand scheme of properties, really quite minor problems. You were so enthused and now you don't feel any "wow" factor?

I am also a bit confused that you went from so keen to where you are now so fast!

I wonder if you need to sit down and have a really good think about what you want. No offence, you just seem really unsure. If you wanted a period property all along, I'm even more confused.

you said upthread it would be a lovely to move somewhere that everything is done - which I totally get - which presumably means you will only be looking at period properties that have been massively made over?

have you seen many properties?

lampshady Tue 21-Jul-15 14:57:37

Hi, that's a pretty accurate assessment. I am all over the place and swing quite quickly!

What put me off was the cladding as hadn't even registered it when viewing, and the fact it would date quite quickly. We had a bit of pressure from the agent regarding a decision as they'd had several asking price offers.

Risks was probably me using the wrong word. I'm not really cut out for property buying.

achieve15 Tue 21-Jul-15 16:04:13

if you feel you're unprepared and unsure, I'd sit and make a list of things you need to look at carefully before you even start viewing.

It is often the case that good properties go fast and there are some people out there (me, lol) who have no patience for dithery buyers. I actually instructed the agent to get me someone who wouldn't ask several questions post offer as I find that sort of person won't be quick with paperwork etc. I've seen people get stuck or lose out just because of someone in a chain being a bit slow. It can be a mare.

so be sure you know what you are doing and get a list together of a) what you need generally and b) what you should look out for on a visit.

no offence, but I also think that unless you have a massive budget, looking for a "wow" factor is a bit strange, but then I'm in London, where we are grateful to have room to swing a cat grin The house needs to meet certain needs. If it ticked all those boxes, would you really turn it down if it didn't have "wow" with it?

lampshady Tue 21-Jul-15 16:29:48

You are absolutely right, and I have a romanticised view of house buying. I'm a bit like a small child in a gift shop at the moment with it all. Will draw up a list and be ruthless with it. No dithering!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now