Talk

Advanced search

when to put house on market

(14 Posts)
greencottage Sun 19-Jul-15 18:59:38

We need to put our house on the market soon but not urgently. Is it ok to launch a house for sale in July/August or will potential purchasers be occupied with their summer holidays? Would it be better to put it on the market in early September?

TheEmpressofBlandings Sun 19-Jul-15 19:05:14

We put ours on the market in the summer hols last year and wished we'd waited till September. It was so quiet, it really wasn't worth it.

greencottage Sun 19-Jul-15 19:46:22

Yes, that's what I thought might be the case. It's not so much the bother, but more the idea that the first couple of weeks fresh to the market is the optimum time for making an impression. So maybe better to have it "fresh" when more people are looking. On the other hand, the garden is looking at its best and the house is nice and sunny etc. at the moment.

CityDweller Sun 19-Jul-15 21:09:52

Could you have the agent come and take pictures, etc, now (while the garden is at its best) but then delay putting it on market until Sept?

greencottage Sun 19-Jul-15 22:15:56

That sounds like a good idea. Thanks. I'll talk to some agents now and get their views.

Applesauce29 Mon 20-Jul-15 09:02:04

Are you in London? I'd be wary about waiting too long as the market here seems to be at saturation point. Most people who want to buy soon will be viewing online so Summer shouldn't be a massive issue assuming your agents are around to do open house and other viewings, plus all places look nicer in the sunshine!

seastargirl Mon 20-Jul-15 09:08:43

Depends where in the country you are, if you're in a sought after school location put it on now as people will be trying to get in before school applications. We sold our house months ago, but are now waiting for something to move too, houses will come on and sell within hours often for more than asking price.

greencottage Mon 20-Jul-15 09:49:55

It's in a sought-after village about an hour outside London but not Home Counties. Conservation area, very unspoilt with all historic houses around, lovely countryside, Michelin-starred restaurant in village. I don't think the school catchment would swing it either way. Local schools are OK (I teach in one of them), but almost everyone here goes private.

TheEmpressofBlandings Mon 20-Jul-15 10:21:52

You could always start with low-key marketing, I've known a few places go on the market but only with the agent calling people to see if they want to view. So no online marketing or pics in the agents window, then it appears to come on fresh in September but if there is anyone actively looking they can be contacted.

Eastpoint Mon 20-Jul-15 10:24:38

We've looked at a few properties which have been marketed without appearing on PrimeLocation etc. Basically agents & vendors testing the market with vendors who aren't in a hurry to move & don't want everybody to know their business.

greencottage Mon 20-Jul-15 10:35:05

Empress and Eastpoint that is brilliant. That's the answer! And, yes, I'd much rather if everyone didn't know our business right now (village life…). I think it's the kind of house people might well register with agents to find, i.e. it's not a seen-one-semi-seen-them-all kind of house. But then, taking this approach probably means finding the right agent… do you think it would be best to use an agent with a strong London presence, to get the "cash in on London and move out" buyers - maybe Savils, Hamptons or similar, rather than a more local agent?

Eastpoint Mon 20-Jul-15 10:54:49

It depends on how much your house is worth, to be crude. Knight Frank seem to market far more broadly, they are seem to be less specific in what they send us. Savills seem to be more accurate. For the area we are looking in Jackson Stopps seem to be good and more branch specific. I think you need to look & talk to local agents to see how they suggest marketing your property. The latest houses haven't got as far as glossy brochures, just draft brochures. Please pm me if you would like more info.

greencottage Mon 20-Jul-15 12:33:35

House value is probably between 1.4 and 1.6m, going by others similar locally. We haven't had anyone in to value yet. I hadn't considered Jackson Stopps - I don't see their signs around here. I don't trust Knight Frank whatsoever… they colluded with my ex-husband to undervalue the former marital home during the divorce process (their deliberate collusion was proven in court), so I would never use them on principle.

bilbodog Mon 20-Jul-15 13:56:42

get 3 agents in to value - rather than relying on what you know about a particular named agent I would be more interested in the individuals running the local office - although I can see why you wouldn't want to go with Knight Frank. If you start now you can take the time to chose your agent, get good photographs and floorplan done and have a brochure drawn up. These things usually take about 2 weeks in any case - or longer if you have a really unusual house and the brochure needs to take this in to account. Then y ou should be able to market low-key, with everything ready so that if you haven't received offers over the summer then it is just a case of hitting the buttons to get it all up and on the internet sites on 31st August. And it might be a good idea to go on the internet on that last Bank Holiday weekend in August so that anyone sitting at home for a long weekend who has decided over the summer holidays to move, would be able to see it and book viewings from beginning of September. Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now