Advanced search

Neighbours extending - do we need a party wall award?

(4 Posts)
dinkystinky Fri 17-Jul-15 22:52:14

Our next door neighbours are extending their flat (downstairs - adjoins to our house on one shared wall) - they will extend the rear of their property by a meter within their side of the boundary and have suggested we forego having a party wall surveyor appointed and simply sign a letter with photos showing a schedule of condition of outside of the property. I'm slightly dubious about this - when we did our extension we appointed a party wall surveyor for both neighbours to schedule the condition before and after the build and rather thought the same would apply here. Are there are party wall specialist on here? I'd really appreciate your views on this. Would not having a party wall surveyor appointed cause us issues in the long run, particularly if we decided to sell our property in the next couple of years?

Marmitelover55 Sat 18-Jul-15 09:58:58

We didn't appoint a party wall surveyor when we did our extension last year - just got our neighbour to sin a party wall agreement. He has just dl done the same and we signed his agreement. Our architect suggested avoiding a party wall surveyor if possible as expensive.

MrsTaraPlumbing Sat 18-Jul-15 12:29:22

You are entitled to have the full party wall agreement with surveyor (s).

Your neighbours have to pay the full cost and it could be a couple of thousand so no wonder they want a cheaper DIY option.

I would stick to the route you know and appoint professionals. It will be well worth it if there is damage/ a dispute later.

dinkystinky Mon 20-Jul-15 13:37:18

Thanks both

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: