Advanced search

Finding a builder who gets old houses

(5 Posts)
IrenetheQuaint Fri 17-Jul-15 08:20:13

I live in a mid-Victorian brick house in East London whose lower ground floor is suffering from minor but annoying rising damp, mostly I think due to the ground levels outside being too high and the use of a concrete screed under the floor with no ventilation outlets, plus external rendering so the damp has nowhere to go.

I want to get it sorted, but the builders I've found to look at it just recommend the standard chemical damp proof course treatment... which I'm not convinced of as I don't think it solves the underlying problem.

So I'm looking for a builder who can understands old houses and ventilation, but so far I've drawn a blank on finding anyone like that - only incredibly high-end companies that restore houses from scratch at great expense.

Does anyone know a source of heritage-conscious builders? There must be a market!

PoorNeglectedBike Fri 17-Jul-15 11:14:17

Google building conservation directory

IrenetheQuaint Fri 17-Jul-15 11:30:25

Thanks Bike, will do.

bilbodog Fri 17-Jul-15 16:34:18

if you google rising damp in old houses there is quite a lot of information out there now about how chemical damp proofing is no good for old houses. Sounds as if you know most of the reasons why you have damp - you just need to find a builder who is on the same wavelength and will do what you ask. I hope you find someone to sort it all out. We had to have all the back of our Victorian Cottage dug out and replaced with gravel as it was too high and causing problems with the back of the house - all sorted now.

IrenetheQuaint Sat 18-Jul-15 14:46:05

Thanks bilbodog - yes, that's exactly my plan. Just need to find the right builder!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now