Talk

Advanced search

Karndean - sealed or not - how do I tell?

(10 Posts)
Artistic Thu 16-Jul-15 15:52:57

Previous owner has installed Karndean in the hallway. How can I tell whether it's sealed or unsealed? Are there any dos or don'ts either way?

bilbodog Thu 16-Jul-15 17:05:16

I have it in my bathroom - as far as I know it comes 'ready to use' - it isn't real wood - just a high quality flooring made to look like it - someone correct me if I am wrong?

Artistic Thu 16-Jul-15 20:19:20

Thank you bil. I've read that unsealed Karndean can come off with steam cleaners so I need to understand this aspect a bit more grin

kansasmum Thu 16-Jul-15 20:20:43

Well I've had Karndean in my hall and downstairs bathroom and study for 6 years and steam clean it regularly and it looks like new still!

Artistic Thu 16-Jul-15 21:18:07

That's great Kansasmum, but do you know if it's sealed or not? I don't even know what 'sealed' means?! confused

mineofuselessinformation Thu 16-Jul-15 21:21:59

I had karndean in my last house for over ten years. It was never sealed, just treated with polish occasionally.
It was brilliant stuff. I miss it.

Artistic Thu 16-Jul-15 21:56:00

Thanks mine. Did you ever steam clean it - and did it survive?

When you say 'not sealed' what exactly do you mean?

bilbodog Thu 16-Jul-15 22:28:19

I just wash my floor with a mop and general cleaner when I clean it. I've never polished mine. Have you looked on the kern dean website?

mineofuselessinformation Fri 17-Jul-15 20:57:37

Sorry, only just seen you replied to me! smile
I mean I never applied anything other than floor polish occasionally. I didn't own a steam cleaner then, but did use a floor scrubber type thing on it which worked well. I can't imagine a steam cleaner would do any harm at all - it's incredibly hard-wearing.

Artistic Fri 17-Jul-15 21:59:31

Thank you. Will be steam cleaning this weekend then! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now