What is the name of that kitchen company...

(21 Posts)
Lambzig Thu 16-Jul-15 13:18:31

...that is much recommended on here for getting the units. I have seen them mentioned on a few threads and people say they are very good. I think it was kitchens something (helpful I know). They deliver them as carcasses, not flat pack.

Thank you for any help. Why do I never bookmark anything?

ShoeJunkie Thu 16-Jul-15 13:20:34

Howdens?

Lambzig Thu 16-Jul-15 13:23:55

No, it was one that you can buy online.

zgaze Thu 16-Jul-15 13:31:34

DIY Kitchens. We used them, great quality units and doors but downside is crap customer service.

firesidechat Thu 16-Jul-15 16:49:24

In what why crap zgaze? We've been to the showroom and thinking about ordering our kitchen from them.

Loumate666 Thu 16-Jul-15 20:19:28

Lots of reviews for DIY Kitchens here. They're generally positive.

Lambzig Thu 16-Jul-15 21:37:34

Yes it was DIY a kitchens, thank you. My builder is refusing to do an ikea kitchen because it's flatpack, so I am trying to find something else or consider putting the flatpack together myself so the builder is presented with complete carcasses (how hard can it be?).

SwedishEdith Thu 16-Jul-15 21:45:48

It's not hard, he's just lazy.

Lambzig Thu 16-Jul-15 21:53:42

He is a fabulous builder - we used him on phase 1 of the house and now phase 2 and wouldn't go elsewhere, but he has always been weird about us wanting an ikea kitchen. He got howdens to quote, but it was v expensive and just not that nice.

zgaze Thu 16-Jul-15 22:56:20

Crap service - possibly we were just unlucky. We had incorrect information given to us a couple of times about quite detailed specifications on some of the products (DH is an architect so knows his stuff), we were promised a fairly significant discount which was never applied and many repeated requests (polite!) and then complaints were never acknowledged or responded to. We found they were very easy to get hold of and helpful before the order went in then practically impossible to get anything out of once you've paid up. We also paid extra for the enhanced delivery service where you can pick your slot, but they failed to give us this and again didn't respond to requests for a refund.

It's a shame that I have a bad taste in my mouth when it comes to them because the actual kitchen looks great and the units seem good quality. Though having said that we have already had to replace three doors due to chipping and damage in the little under a year since we installed it, so it will be interesting to see how well it lasts.

zgaze Thu 16-Jul-15 22:58:26

Oh and I did an ikea kitchen in my last house - installed it ourselves and it was so easy to put together. I wouldnt hesitate to do it again. The only reason we didn't go for ikea this time is that we wanted a particular handleless look and they didn't quite have it.

Lambzig Sat 18-Jul-15 20:13:26

Am going for ikea then with the boinky handless thing going on then and will put the carcasses together myself.

Ohhelpohnoitsa Sat 18-Jul-15 20:49:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Belleview Sat 18-Jul-15 20:56:18

Yes I can't imagine how on earth people store the carcasses from diykitchens while waiting for them to be installed.

I'm a total noob in this area and even have a hard time envisaging how I'm going to house a flat packed kitchen whilst the other one is still in situ.

wafflyversatile Sat 18-Jul-15 21:29:20

A neighbour let me use his garage.

The guy who did my kitchen whinged about it being IKEA too. But the catalogues he got me to look at didn't have anything I liked.

I need a new one now though. [sigh]

80sMum Sat 18-Jul-15 21:40:40

How long is a kitchen reasonably expected to last these days? We bought our kitchen 24 years ago. Parts of it are now beginning to look like they need replacing, mostly the sink, worktops and hob.
If I replaced the whole thing and got a new kitchen, would I get another 24 years? I'm inclined to think not; everything seems a lot more flimsy nowadays.

wafflyversatile Sat 18-Jul-15 23:00:54

Not long if it's cheap, partially bodged and not looked after properly. blush

onebrokegirl Sun 19-Jul-15 10:15:24

zgaze - which kitchen did you get? I put the Milbourne in my flat which was excellent quality for the price.

Now looking at the Broadoak Painted but wondering if there is a risk of the paint chipping etc...?

Whycantibetangy Sun 19-Jul-15 10:26:35

Ours is a Wickes one, its really good quality and still looks fab 10 years on

K4DIY Mon 20-Jul-15 11:51:43

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

zgaze Wed 22-Jul-15 23:20:29

Sorry onebrokegirl, I've only just seen this. Ours was the Luca Matt White handleless.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now