Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Tiling a window recess

(12 Posts)
wowfudge Wed 15-Jul-15 22:29:33

I sense the tiler is reluctant to tile the two window recesses in our bathroom, but it's what I really want. The tiles are 30cm x 10cm and are being laid in brick bond. The window recesses are roughly 15cm deep. I think half tiles all the way round could look odd.

How else would they be done? Does anyone have a photo? There are wooden window ledges which won't be tiled, so it's the sides and top. I don't want to push for something which then doesn't look right.

poppet131 Wed 15-Jul-15 22:39:45

I wouldn't tile unless you have tiles on the entire wall around your window.

wowfudge Wed 15-Jul-15 22:46:01

We will have poppet.

Artistic Wed 15-Jul-15 22:51:31

Mine are tiled like you've said. Narrow recess, but it's surrounded by a tiled wall (over the bath) so it makes sense & looks good. The bottom part has a wooden ledge. The tiles appear to have been cut down lengthwise. Does this help?

wowfudge Wed 15-Jul-15 22:55:38

Thank you. I guess I'm wondering whether you just put half tiles all the way round or do something else?

Ruhrpott Thu 16-Jul-15 09:16:02

I put Metro tiles around mine. Here they are in the middle of being tiled.

wowfudge Thu 16-Jul-15 10:23:05

Thanks Ruhrpott - you've used whole tiles all round the recess and it looks fine. Right: it shall be done!

Ruhrpott Thu 16-Jul-15 11:31:54

The end bit by the window is cut off and then we had PVC finishing strips put over the rough ends by the window company. Will take a photo of the finished ones tonight when I'm home.

wowfudge Thu 16-Jul-15 12:30:06

Oh, thank you - that would be great. What I mean is that you haven't cut tiles so there is a vertical join in the middle of the recess on alternate rows - it's not quite following the brick bond pattern, but it still works. It doesn't look odd like I thought it might. What did you do along the top inside the recess?

Ruhrpott Thu 16-Jul-15 18:50:20

Well I've tried to photograph it, it's s bit difficult with the light from the window. Here are some photos. I left the top just plaster. Please excuse the cat's tail!

Ruhrpott Thu 16-Jul-15 18:58:30

Here's a photo of the top. We didn't change the kitchen when we moved (couldn't afford a whole new kitchen), just changed the horrible old tiles and had some new windows fitted.

wowfudge Thu 16-Jul-15 22:52:42

Thank you - nice touch with the cat's tail too wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now