Talk

Advanced search

Can this kitchen layout be improved?

(36 Posts)
Mrbrowncanmoo Wed 15-Jul-15 21:48:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SwedishEdith Wed 15-Jul-15 21:52:39

What's the door by the washing machine for? Can you post a floorplan - might be easier to see what could go where? 3 doors makes it quite tricky for you, doesn't it?

MoonlightandMusic Wed 15-Jul-15 21:55:30

Double oven definitely. Also, I'd reduce the cupboard space on the bottom level and add more wide drawers instead. They are much easier to use for plates, pots, pans, glasses etc.

Can't quite see from the pictures, but for the cupboard to the right of the sink in the first view - is that a corner one with pull out shelves? If not, might be worth putting the dishwasher there (on the assumption that it won't be built behind a door, given the washer and dryer aren't).

Not sure about the dimensions of the room but, if you can, I'd also ditch at least one other set of top cupboards and have shelves there too - it will make the place feel more spacious, while not losing you storage.

BuildYourOwnSnowman Wed 15-Jul-15 22:01:01

Is the fridge next to the oven?

My reservation with open shelves next to the extractor is that ime everything gets greasy on them

Dimensions would be useful. Surface space is the big thing for me - do you have enough?

In the open area next to ovens - is it deep enough you can use it for kettle etc? I so, make sure you have enough sockets. If not, could you not bother having it? Could you put washer and dryer there one on top of the other?

Mrbrowncanmoo Wed 15-Jul-15 22:22:18

BuildYourOwnSnowman Wed 15-Jul-15 22:29:40

Energy efficiency wise fridge next to ovens isn't great

Is your pantry big enough to fit the washing machine in with dryer on top?

I know this is controversial but I actually prefer my oven undercounter.

Mrbrowncanmoo Wed 15-Jul-15 22:39:39

lalalonglegs Wed 15-Jul-15 23:01:15

Can the oven/fridge units be moved to the other end of that run of cupboards? It's not ideal to walk into a room and be facing the side of a tall unit, if they are down the other end, you will face low units and wall units which is less of a visual block.

ChishandFips33 Wed 15-Jul-15 23:21:43

It looks 'bitty' to me (sorry!) because of all the doors confused
Can you take a pic of inside your pantry and draw a rough floor plan with sizes on?
I'm thinking a 'wall of tall' on the pantry wall run (pantry door hidden behind a dummy cupboard, that sits in front of the pantry) and lose the oven run to create space for a small table/chairs?
What is this kitchen costing/have you considered ikea?

ChishandFips33 Wed 15-Jul-15 23:24:24

This or this type of thing

Achooblessyou Wed 15-Jul-15 23:29:02

I've got fridge next to double oven and thermostat on fridge doesn't work any more - don't think it's a good idea

CalmYoBadSelf Wed 15-Jul-15 23:36:18

I would turn the sink round so your drainer goes toward the corner rather than toward the end of the counter. I think it would look better and feel more secure

woodleydoodle Wed 15-Jul-15 23:44:59

Fridge next to oven is not a good idea.
I like the oven and hob together.
I love the utility cupboard!

bumpertobumper Wed 15-Jul-15 23:51:21

if I liked you house enough to want to buy it, the position of the oven wouldn't make any difference. I understand that you want to make it look impressive, but a new clean kitchen will be. if I was you I wouldn't be working to much about every detail if a kitchen you're not going to live with. You could spend extra money making it just so, and the buyers want something different and change it anyway...
Just make it nice while spending as little as possible is my advice.

BuildYourOwnSnowman Thu 16-Jul-15 08:33:39

Agree that if ou are doing this to sell you would be better having oven under hob, open surface where that was, fridge to the right if boiler room door, doors to washing machine.

Think about the first thing they will see when they walk into the room

etoiledemer Thu 16-Jul-15 09:54:29

Chipsandfish, is that your pantry or do you have a link to that photo as it's very lovely and I would like to save it to my kitchen board on Pinterest smile.

KittyOShea Thu 16-Jul-15 10:00:38

Is there somewhere to sit and eat?

My kitchen is around the same size as yours and we sacrificed a few under counter cupboards for a breakfast bar. Means we still have a fair amount of cupboard space and can have a cuppa in the kitchen.

Agree re fridge and oven.

mandy214 Thu 16-Jul-15 11:17:38

i think it looks really overcrowded to be honest and makes it look (certainly from those photos) really small. It would put me off the house to be honest.

You have far too many cupboards for the illusion of space. I agree with a PP that you should look to move the washing machine and dryer out of there to free up some space and if you want a double oven with f/f next to it (I have that and its not an issue), I would put those where the washer and dryer are now. It looks as though you have another 60cm or so before the window so that should be OK.

The hob wall looks OK, but I'd consider using shallow cupboards (i.e. not 60cm, maybe 30cm depth depending on what Magnet offer) on the other wall (where the oven is currently planned) so as to give the illusion of more space. It will also make a different walking into the room from the door to the left of the oven, it looks as though you'd have to squeeze in there.

I'd also lose some if not all of the wall units - they really make the space feel crowded.

OliviaBenson Thu 16-Jul-15 11:29:50

I don't think you need to put any cupboards or shelves next to extractor to be honest- it will look too cluttered. I'd put the washer in the pantry and some shelving in there for storage.

Yy to having pan draws rather than lots of cupboards. I'd have a double oven under the hob myself- hate them next to the fridge.

OliviaBenson Thu 16-Jul-15 11:31:03

My other comment would be, where is your bin going to go? There is no room with that layout. Personally I dislike them when they are built into cupboards.m

Mrbrowncanmoo Thu 16-Jul-15 11:32:27

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Thu 16-Jul-15 12:08:59

Too many cupboards and very close to doors is my initial impression to be honest. It feels very cramped.

Where would I put the bin is my second question? Bins for that matter - recycling,

A double oven or a built in microwave with oven at a minimum but it depends on the price of the house and whether you will see it back I think as to whether two ovens or one good one is better.

I would be inclined to lose some cupboards off the end of the room with the oven / fridge and put three tall cupboards with no counter space at all on that wall.

Preminstreltension Thu 16-Jul-15 12:13:43

Don't put the dishwasher in a corner - not sure where it is now but don't do that. Means it blocks everything while its open and you can't then get to cupboards to put things away while unloading.

And agree to no tall bank of cupboards as you walk in. Like walking into a wall.

Millymollymama Thu 16-Jul-15 12:18:12

Actually I was going to suggest going for a souble sink with no drainer. I have a draining basket in one sink and that is a far better solution in my view.
I donot think you need a huge amount of wall storage if you have a pantry. I like a double oven and eye level is better but you do not have built in microwave. Freestanding will take up more worktop space. I have oiled oak work tops in a London flat. Awful. Impossible to stop from staining so that would put me off.

I also like a kitcehn to feel spacious so I would have had a big kitchen diner as you would still have two other reception rooms and then everything would look less cramped. I think lots of people prefer the kitchen to be the family hub these days, so bigger is better. I do appreciate this iprovement is probably beyond your budget but a new kitchen that did not make best use of the space available in the house would put me off buying it, however modern the kitchen was. Do you need to do the kitchen at all if a buyer would knock walls down? Have you asked agents what their opinions would be on this?

BuildYourOwnSnowman Thu 16-Jul-15 12:31:00

Can we clarify - are you doing this to sell or for yourself?

If its to sell a lot of these suggestions are unnecessary expense.

I meant ff at other end of L from sink.

If to sell put oven under hob - no cupboard above.

Where oven currently is just put a breakfast bar - maybe with a bulge into the room for extra seating /surface. Maybe some glass shelves on wall above and dress with funky coloured glasses etc.

Putting the washing machine in boiler room would be good for selling. You must make sure there is decent ventilation (which can be a big problem with the picture above - you end up having to keep the doors open all the time you are using it!!)

Regarding fridge next to oven - it makes your fridge have to work that much harder so a lot less efficient and a lesser fridge could give up!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now