Talk

Advanced search

An Ikea kitchen, what other bits?

(11 Posts)
KittyCatKittyCat Wed 15-Jul-15 19:41:22

So!
I have spent hoourrsss on the planner. Have the 'structure' I want, but will take in store to tweak with one of their advisers. Have tried to remember all of the mumsnet tips, where I'll put my bin etc.

But I've never aesthetically done a kitchen before! Our room will be long, a bit cave like, with one large south facing window above the main horseshoe of the kitchen (sink, dishwasher, washer dryer, hob, toast/tea corner). There will then be, walking backwards, a fridge, storage and bin cupboards under the stairs to the right, and a decent sized dining table against the wall to the left. Walking further back brings you to the entrance porch/mudroom. Stairs upstairs go off of one corner, lounge to the opposite corner.

DH and I like big dark tiles on the floor, but what tiles? I thought tiles were tiles but there's different types! We also thought we'd be a bit bold and put them up the walls as the splashback for the horseshoe area and maybe even continuing along the dining table area (messy kids and painted walls). But not full height. Worried it would look a bit dark. We have great light from the window, and loads of spotlights already in the ceiling that we aren't bothering to change.

So perhaps white/off white cabinets... but what worktop colour?! Mumsnet consensus is granite. Can I do a light grey cabinet? Too dark?

In summary: Colour ideas please! Love grey/black obviously but not gloomy. And tile type knowledge greatly appreciated.

fudgecat Wed 15-Jul-15 20:40:46

you seem to have a similar plan to me. I'm thinking of going with the gray bodbyn cabinets with a white sparkly quartz worktop but unsure about the flooring yet.

GreyBird84 Wed 15-Jul-15 20:51:28

I'm planning on a cream shaker with grey sparkly Quartz & grey floor tiles.

I fell in love with the worktop & im planning around it - but I think it's more standard to pick your floor tile & work around it. I want a role that will suit grey grout, I'm never having white grout again!

KittyCatKittyCat Wed 15-Jul-15 20:51:38

Hadn't considered a paler worktop!

GreyBird84 Wed 15-Jul-15 20:52:40

tile bloody iPad

KittyCatKittyCat Wed 15-Jul-15 20:59:05

Anyone know if porcelain tiles are any good?

ChishandFips33 Thu 16-Jul-15 07:41:58

We chose porcelain over ceramic on the understanding if they got chipped they are the same colour all the way through
We used to have slate in the old house which were lovely but wanted a more uniform colour in this one

GreyBird84 Thu 16-Jul-15 08:51:58

We will be having porcelain as we hope to put in underfloor heating and apparently its a great conductor of heat.

KittyCatKittyCat Thu 16-Jul-15 18:45:44

Ah good to know. So porcelain, isn't it just white then painted and finished? If it chips, surely the chip is white?

ChishandFips33 Thu 16-Jul-15 19:49:22

Just looked at our off cuts and they are the same right through

We have wet UFH and they heat up quick :-)

KittyCatKittyCat Thu 16-Jul-15 20:33:37

Ah thanks for that! Little white nicks and chips was a worry!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now