Talk

Advanced search

Has a roofer just "done" us ?

(10 Posts)
EvaBee Wed 15-Jul-15 13:31:45

Roofer was going round our street today cleaning gutters so I got him to do ours. It was a reasonable cost and I saw what he took out. Stupid me asked him to check the roof and I heard him hammering away.

He came down with some pieces of cement that had lots of moss growing on them and told me it was the ridge at the top of the roof that needs replacing. (well of course it does now that he's hammered it out!!)

My neighbour doesn't think it's a problem at the moment and the ridge (which was all cement) won't cause an issue. Does anyone know about this?

wowfudge Wed 15-Jul-15 13:46:00

It is not always advisable to remove miss from rooves. I'd be giving him a piece of my mind and threatening to call the police as he has caused damage to your house. Why on earth did he have a hammer to clear the gutters? Con artist and the reason I always say 'no thank you' to door knockers!

rumbelina Wed 15-Jul-15 13:56:42

Don't let him do anything without a second opinion.

PigletJohn Wed 15-Jul-15 14:19:02

don't get him to do any work whatsoever.

Ask around for a recommended local roofer. Somebody who has been in business for several years and who has a real-life address that you can go and look at.

FruChristerOla Wed 15-Jul-15 21:19:22

Real 'roofers' do not go trawling up and down roads offering to clean out gutters.

EvaBee Wed 15-Jul-15 22:14:54

I know Fru...he does this area on a regular basis but it's the first time I've come across him.

I'm kicking myself.

FruChristerOla Thu 16-Jul-15 15:37:09

"he does this area on a regular basis but it's the first time I've come across him."

But that doesn't make any sense. Either you know him, or you don't?

Piglet is right. Find someone who has good, local recommendations.

In our area (mainly Victorian properties) re-roofing is a regular occurrence and the roofers round here are skilled, experienced and have excellent reputations. I wouldn't trust a 'random' who knocked on the door to 'clear the gutters' and then present me with a bit of dodgy looking cement/concrete/roof tile and tell me I need a new roof.

shovetheholly Thu 16-Jul-15 15:44:21

There are builders in my area who will do this.

They use the initial job as an excuse to tell you that all kinds of other things are wrong with your house. For example, they will come around to fix a new downpipe, and tell you that your bay window is imminently about to start leaking and that if you don't do something immediately, your house will fall down. Then they will offer to fix them. They rely on the shock, embarrassment, and the concern about money to get you to say yes.

They are generally cowboys whose work is not up to scratch. When I was younger, I got caught out by one of them - fortunately only for £80, and the lesson was cheap at the price. Avoid!

firesidechat Thu 16-Jul-15 16:35:48

Oh dear, this appears to be a common scam. It's been featured on one of those daytime rouge traders programs.

MrsTaraPlumbing Sat 18-Jul-15 13:23:50

OMG!
This kind of practice is ALMOST illegal. Tradesmen of any type should not be going around the streets looking for work in the way that I am imagining from what you say.
As others have said: - esp Piglet -
Any work like this should be done by reputable local business with public liability insurance.
They should give you a written quote and if they expect you to sign up to work when they are at your house they should give you a 14 day cooling off period - in writing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now