Council have just tarmacked over our land..

(13 Posts)
WizardOfToss Wed 15-Jul-15 12:07:26

...without so much as a by your leave!

We own a wood which adjoins a narrow lane. There is a small wild area without trees that people sometimes try to use as a passing place, but they can't really as it's a lower level than the road.

At least it was! I came out today to find the council had filled in the drop and were busily tarmacking in a nice big passing place. I was rather surprised. confused

Rang the council and I am so far on my second person who is trying to find out what the merry hell is going on.

DH is hopping. I think a passing place is an excellent idea and I would have given permission if there had been some compensation on offer, as it would make everyone's life easier. So I'd like a pragmatic, sensible solution if possible. Any thoughts/ideas/advice?

Oh - and we can clearly prove title!

wowfudge Wed 15-Jul-15 14:02:28

Fence it off with posts and chains until you get a sensible response from the Council? Contact your ward councillors to complain about the trespass and damage to your property.

Are there any notices up anywhere advising of the work?

SurlyCue Wed 15-Jul-15 14:06:20

Yep fence it! Perhaps they believed it to be part of the road? Even so, it isnt so block it until it is resolved to your satisfaction.

Icantbelieveitsnotbutter Wed 15-Jul-15 14:10:19

That is so cheeky!

WizardOfToss Wed 15-Jul-15 14:14:34

I think they did believe it was part of the road, or more accurately, didn't bother to check. Apparently someone complained that the passing place was impassable and needed fixing...only it's not a passing place!

No notice of the work, and no one can find the manager responsible so far...hmm!

I think I'm going to let it stand in the long run..we have acres of land and it doesn't impact on our life really. But I need something official to state it's still our land otherwise I can see that being another nightmare if we sell.

Perhaps I'm being soft/naive?

charleybarley Wed 15-Jul-15 14:17:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WizardOfToss Wed 15-Jul-15 14:25:33

Ah, thanks Charley. I foresee a legal nightmare which is more annoying than the original cheek of the whole thing. Sigh.

wowfudge Wed 15-Jul-15 15:21:09

Get them to pay for the agreement (could be a sale agreement or a licence) and your reasonable legal fees in negotiating and drawing it up. Seriously, stop being soft and naive because the next time they do something it will be bigger and more serious and have more impact on you. Put your complaint in writing straightaway!

If you want to address things, give them something like 7 or 14 days to remove the Tarmac and put the land back to it's pre-Tarmac state or provide you with heads of terms for an agreement relating to the use of your land and an undertaking to pay your legal fees.

WizardOfToss Wed 15-Jul-15 16:32:36

Thank you very much for your advice. I have now spoken to the correct person and they are more than happy to reinstate.

wowfudge Wed 15-Jul-15 16:47:03

That's good then. I once turned a blind eye to something a neighbour did and then really wished I hadn't when they monumentally took the piss a few years later so I would be more assertive about that kind of thing these days.

stayathomegardener Wed 15-Jul-15 16:50:23

Get it reinstated as soon as possible, once it is in council control you will have people parking, camping, lighting fires etc.
Speaking from experience here, someone was living/holidaying in one of our woods last summer.

Damnautocorrect Wed 15-Jul-15 16:51:46

Person who moaned the passing place is going to be very confused over the next week!

WizardOfToss Wed 15-Jul-15 17:02:35

Bloody hell, stayathome! Nightmare! How did you get rid of them?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now