Talk

Advanced search

Offer on £1.35M new build house accepted. Builder saying if we want coving it will cost extra ?!??

(17 Posts)
hmc Tue 14-Jul-15 19:58:50

Seriously? Isn't that a bit like saying if you want skirting boards that will be £2k extra? Surely coving should be put in as standard - walls don't look finished without them - particularly in an 'expensive' house, no?

Toughasoldboots Tue 14-Jul-15 20:00:30

You know that you will be slaughtered for putting the price in don't you?! grin

Toughasoldboots Tue 14-Jul-15 20:00:52

But I agree with you, what a cheek of the builder.

Chchchchangeabout Tue 14-Jul-15 20:02:51

We bought new build and they 'kindly' threw in flooring worth '£10K'. I would contact the sales office and clarify what the cost does and doesn't include, and make sure you are happy with that/make clear what needs to be included in that price.

I take it this is in London btw?

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Tue 14-Jul-15 20:03:31

YANBU!

AvaCrowder Tue 14-Jul-15 20:05:53

I don't think that I would want coving in a new build, but your builder sounds cheap not to throw it in. Check that it's plaster rather than polystyrene!

tryingtocatchthewind Tue 14-Jul-15 20:06:40

God these new builds really p me off. The thing is they know that you're unlikely to pull out over £2k so why not try and milk you.

My relatively modern house doesn't have coving and I hate it

StoorieHoose Tue 14-Jul-15 20:08:31

DH is asking if there is coving in the show house? the over £1million houses he's worked in have coving, some buildings will do coving downstairs but most it is a chargeable extra

hmc Tue 14-Jul-15 20:20:15

There is no show home. It is a one off new build in a semi rural location in Hampshire / Wiltshire border

Yes I know Toughasoldboots - I thought that the price might be relevant (in that if it was a new build of £150k then perhaps it isn't standard to include coving)

hmc Tue 14-Jul-15 20:21:14

Thanks Ava - I will check that it is plaster

Theoldshmoo Tue 14-Jul-15 20:34:46

Blimey, my thrown up in 6 weeks housing association property has plaster coving, i'd be worried what else the builder has skimped on for that price!

hmc Tue 14-Jul-15 20:40:12

Well quite Theoldshmoo

SingingTunelessly Tue 14-Jul-15 21:28:41

That is so cheeky. Hold out for plaster coving. I'm assuming you didn't haggle them down by £500k or something ridiculous. grin.

Marmitelover55 Tue 14-Jul-15 21:55:19

I'm not sure I would want coving in a new build. If it is very contemporary then I think it would look wrong. If more traditional then maybe.

Apatite1 Tue 14-Jul-15 23:00:15

I definitely wouldn't want it in my new build. But didn't you discuss this with them well before now?

OnePlanOnHouzz Wed 15-Jul-15 06:02:31

Ask for a full listing of what is included and what's an optimal extra - this builder may have other hidden options you haven't noticed yet !!

bilbodog Wed 15-Jul-15 12:36:46

coving covers a multitude of styles and standards - in a house of that price it could be very expensive to put it in and they may well have left it as an optional extra depending on who buys the house - however sounds like an ideal thing to haggle on!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now