Talk

Advanced search

French doors that open against kitchen window?

(7 Posts)
BasinHaircut Mon 13-Jul-15 08:25:37

Our new house has an old fashioned patio door, where one half slides in front of the other to open. We want to replace with doors that allow a much bigger opening and am thinking French doors as I imagine bifold are out of our price range. Only problem is that the door opening is only about a foot and a half away from the window so if we get French doors the door will open back across the window to an extent.

Has anyone else got this? Does it annoy the crap out of you? It's the door that we would use as the normal back door IYSWIM, so not only a problem if we wanted the whole back opened up but would be every time we had the door open.

Any suggestions?

I'm hoping someone will tell me that bofd doors are now cheap as chips!

addictedtosugar Mon 13-Jul-15 20:14:25

We have this style of house. French doors at back of house open onto windowed bits. Except there is some sort of stop, so the doors don't swing through more than about 100 degrees, meaning the windows and doors can't come in contact.

BasinHaircut Mon 13-Jul-15 20:56:35

Thanks.

That would be no good for me, as then there would be a door sticking out into the garden and would sort of cut the patio in half! The door needs to go right back, but might be annoying if it is!

yomellamoHelly Mon 13-Jul-15 21:11:24

Could they open inwards?

BasinHaircut Mon 13-Jul-15 21:42:22

No not really, no space inside.

EnriqueTheRingBearingLizard Mon 13-Jul-15 21:48:14

We had a house once where the French Doors would've opened right back along the back wall of the house but we had a kind of bracket and arm arrangement like we now have with a 5 bar gate. The door has a loop on the outside and there's an arm/hook arrangement on the wall which acts as a stay when the two are hooked up together and that holds the open doors in a stationary position.

EnriqueTheRingBearingLizard Mon 13-Jul-15 21:53:43

Apparently I mean a cabin hook and stay and since that idea there are now also magnetic options to look into.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now