Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone ever dug up concrete floors ?

(6 Posts)
GreyBird84 Sun 12-Jul-15 17:54:11

We bought an old bungalow to renovate. To keep costs down we are doing as much as possible ourselves.

House has never had a central heating system so the existing floors need dug up. Apparently it's very labour intensive but not difficult to do.

I've been googling & u-tubing but just wondered if anyone has 1st hand experience?

Wolfiefan Sun 12-Jul-15 17:59:59

We haven't dug up a whole floor but had a trench dug through a room to allow us to run water to a new laundry room. The dust. Sweet Jesus the dust. Oh and the noise!!

GreyBird84 Sun 12-Jul-15 18:21:57

We are not living in it while doing any work so that's our saving grace!

Noise - well our neighbours objected to our extension so silver lining n that ;)

What did you use to dig it up? DH will dig it up while I do wheelbarrow trips to the skip joyful

PigletJohn Sun 12-Jul-15 20:30:41

For a neat job you whizz two lines down with a floor saw, or, if thin, a masonry blade in an angle grinder, then use a heavy breaker. If the concrete is (too) thin or (too) weak you might manage it with a heavy SDS+ drill and chisels.

The tools are quite capable of cutting off limbs if not correctly used.

A small builder would do it quite quickly.

IMO you could easily spend a couple of hundred on tool hire, ear defenders, dust masks and overalls, and have a hard day of it, or get a recommended builder in to do it for you for much the same.

GreyBird84 Mon 13-Jul-15 11:56:24

I was hoping you would come along john smile great advice thank you.

We have quotes from builders & also got a quantity surveyor to price the drawings for us & it appears builders are sticking their arm in because it is such a crappy job to do, hence saving ourselves a considerable sum if we do it ourselves.

PigletJohn Mon 13-Jul-15 18:13:47

don't forget to buy a canister vac before you start.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now