Advanced search

What to put on a wall right beside a cooker - tiles, glass, gloss paint, tinfoil??

(20 Posts)
WaftingWillberry Sun 12-Jul-15 16:39:57

New kitchen has a freestanding cooker in a corner of the kitchen. Beside it is a wooden worksurface with a unit underneath.

The wall beside and behind the cooker is currently painted with normal emulsion, but obviously this is going to get trashed pretty quickly with cooking splatters.

We could just tile the whole corner from floor to above cooking splatter level, but wondered about alternatives. Would lining the wall with glass be an option, it it expensive/difficult?

Any other inspired options gratefully received! Oh - forgot to say budget is small - under £100 probably.

NorbertDentressangle Sun 12-Jul-15 16:43:25

Glass can look lovely (google glass splashback) but no idea how expensive it is

OnePlanOnHouzz Mon 13-Jul-15 08:39:57

Even if it's an induction cooker - It's not a good place to be as it means your pan handles will need to stick out and therefore it's easier for a child to grab - seriously consider a redesign !
If you want me to safety check your plan I'll happily do it FOC . Just PM me for my email address . I'm amazed a supplier has let you consider this - it's not best practice at all !
Seriously people - when it comes to kitchen planning ALWAYS get things safety checked before you order anything !

PigletJohn Mon 13-Jul-15 09:26:59

If tiled, the grout will get dirty. I like glass. Brushed stainless will do but still needs plenty of cleaning. You can get splashback to match worktop, eàsy with Egger laminates but I would avoid real wood. The sides of wall cabinets beside the hob will also get a greasy cooking film and be hard to clean.

poppyinstitches Mon 13-Jul-15 09:30:46

glass pricey, I once used a sheet of stainless steel and it looked great - good price too.

PigletJohn Mon 13-Jul-15 23:53:49

the cheapest glass I could find today was this

It is usually more, but less than £100. The others were in various colours or had silly pictures on them. I do liked brushed stainless, but it needs to be kept very clean. Toughened glass cannot be cut or drilled after it has left the factory. Your local glazier can order it, made to measure. I don't know what it would cost.

I measured max width between electric sockets, and height worktop to extractor. It would look better lined up with a 1000mm extractor (I like the extra width as fumes may drift sideways from the hob) but they are now very hard to find.

WaftingWillberry Sun 19-Jul-15 12:13:35

So sorry, I have somehow missed this, been a bit of mad kitchen week.

Thanks for the glass tips - I'm leaning towards that to avoid groutage problems. Just have to convince DH that it's not some radical new fangled thing which will never work.

Thanks for the offer OnePlan, we didn't have a kitchen planner as it's not a whole new kitchen, just moving things around a bit so the layout works better. It's an odd room, and that corner bit of wall is literally the only place you can put the cooker so it backs on to an outside wall (which was one of my stipulations).

Twinkie1 Tue 21-Jul-15 19:02:47

The greasy shite you get around the cooker is not from cooking residue, it's left when gas burns so you won't get it with an induction hob, if that helps.

MrsJamin Tue 21-Jul-15 21:57:08

I just got our glass splashback today from diy splashbacks (on amazon). Reviews are good but not opened package yet. It's definitely within your price range, a 75x70 piece was £75. It does seem very odd to have it in a corner though. confused

Scoobydoo8 Tue 21-Jul-15 22:03:35

You can buy stuff to paint onto wallpaper. I think it's just a type of pva glue. I've used it behind my hob (which I don't use all the time as have an aga) and wall paper looks fine after 5 years and can be sponged.

I can't remember exactly what I used but google 'how to protect wallpaper' for lots of info.

MrsJamin Tue 21-Jul-15 22:06:41 link to splashback

PigletJohn Tue 21-Jul-15 23:07:51

PVA glue is not waterproof and will soften, or come off, or bubble and blister, if wet-sponged.

I have seen some kind of glaze in the catalogues of paint manufacturers for this kind of job, but never used it.

WaftingWillberry Wed 22-Jul-15 14:26:43

Twinkie - that's interesting, didn't know that. It's not really a greasy kitchen (electric rings) though of course will still get cooking splashes.

Thanks for the link MrsJamin, that looks good, just the right size too.

Will look into protective coatings Scoobydoo, could maybe do with some on the painted wall nearby that won't have glass on.

I think the corner position will work okay - as the rings aren't right at the edge of the cooker there's a few inches to turn the pan handles towards the wall, and I usually use the ones away from the wall anyway, so plenty of handle room. It's better than where it was before, with no surface on one side, and right by a doorway. And it will be a joy to have an extractor that actually extracts. To the outside!

Belleview Wed 22-Jul-15 15:53:56

I think tiles are lovely.

What is all the fuss about scrubbing grout? Seems OCD to me.

Idk if you can get non glossy glass splash backs, perhaps? I do think the shiny shiny kitchen look has had its day.

Belleview Wed 22-Jul-15 15:59:04

I would, in an ideal world, have this from Fired Earth.

Belleview Wed 22-Jul-15 16:00:19

If anybody has seen similar but more affordable, please share info!

SophiePendragon Wed 22-Jul-15 16:04:13

We have a cooker at the end of a worktop, too - I'm planning on building another on the exposed side as it is really dangerous with a toddler and hot pans sitting there even after it's turned off.

Behind it on the wall I've got a steel splashback, which I'm tiling up to on both sides.

Don't rely on paint - it will be awful to clean.

PigletJohn Wed 22-Jul-15 17:25:59

"The greasy shite you get around the cooker is not from cooking residue"

I can't see that.

If I fry a steak, or roast a joint, there is a haze as well as fat splatter.

Twinkie1 Wed 22-Jul-15 17:43:29

I mean the greasy shitty stuff that covers extractor fans and the like, people think it's cooking stuff that hangs in the air but it's not apparently. It's different to the stuff that spits out from the pan.

I had no idea about this but a kitchen designer who did my friends kitchen told us that and she has sparkling extractor etc now.

OnePlanOnHouzz Sun 09-Aug-15 18:37:35

This might help -
It's Dutch but the do ship internationally !

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: