Advanced search

Architect or just structural engineer

(6 Posts)
Trickytricky Sat 11-Jul-15 16:13:14

Hi all, we are thinking of extending our house and have had an architect round to look at the house and discuss options with. We already know what we want and I wasn't overly impressed with the architects scribbled sketches she did at the meeting. Would you recommend using an architect or could we just get a structural engineer to do the plans for planning application etc? The architect seems to be an expensive option but perhaps takes the hassle out of it if she liaises with builders etc. all advice welcome. architect seems

vienaa Sat 11-Jul-15 17:47:02

We had to have both, the architect to design the plans and he did all my paper work for the planning application, everything was written down on the specs with size in everything, what I have to use it was very in depth and a structural engineer that looked at the plans and he figured out what steal work I needed, my structural engineer was more expensive than my architect,

SwedishEdith Sat 11-Jul-15 17:58:08

We had a similar experience to you with an architect. So, just used a structural engineer. He completed all the plans and everything that needed to be submitted to the council. If you're clear what you want, a good structural engineer might be all you need. I admit that I'm curious about what an architect could have suggested though - if they would have come up with any ideas that I had't thought of.

FunnyBird Sat 11-Jul-15 18:02:07

A surveyor could draw up plans and do your planning app and building regs. Would need structural engineer input.

whiteagle Sat 11-Jul-15 18:15:38

We have both - we are doing quite a large extension and have engaged the architect for the whole process. Their input as a 3rd party in the build process has been good and helpful to have someone else on your side iyswim - not that the builders have been difficult but good to know we are not on our own.

Shakespearmint Sat 11-Jul-15 18:33:50

I'm an architect and work for a contractor. Architect for early stages can be important especially as it relates to planning consent . Many builders have in house structural engineers . If you using steel then I would recommend both architect and engineer. The more time upfront planning will save you more time and stress with the builder. Builders also need a good set of drawings and specs to price a contract properly . Pm me if you need moe advice

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: