Talk

Advanced search

Buying a new build asvice

(13 Posts)
OctopusArmEnvy Fri 10-Jul-15 16:14:13

Just reserved a Bellway new build.
It won't be ready till Feb/march so we have still got to go through all the specifications/additions as well as extra sockets, grass in garden, outdoor taps, carpets etc etc etc
Feeling alittle overwhelmed by the sheer volume of questions - does anyone have any advice/tips - anything they definately would or wouldn't get done. Ta xx

bettysviolin Fri 10-Jul-15 20:39:23

Congratulations.

Yes to outside tap, outside lights and electrical points for lawnmower etc.

Are the kitchen and bathroom in yet?

OctopusArmEnvy Sat 11-Jul-15 07:15:19

Thanks bettysviolin :-)
No - they haven't laid a single brick yet so all decisions up in the air :-)

SavoyCabbage Sat 11-Jul-15 07:17:55

Get loads of extra sockets put in.

shinysparklythings Sat 11-Jul-15 07:20:10

Get a folder and write down everything you think of! I think I asked almost as many questions as was asked. Make sure you get enough sockets and TV points. Exhaust for tumble drier? Loft ladder? If you are still early on look at the layout and check you are happy, we moved a few walls to make the space better for us. Most of all enjoy! We took weekly pics if our house growing! grin

QuiteLikely5 Sat 11-Jul-15 07:22:54

Are you really getting all these options? I bought a new build and the didn't offer to put in extra sockets etc.

You got a say in kitchen style (not lay out)

Tiles

Flooring.

And that was it.

You might be overthinking this unless I'm wrong! (It has been known on occasion) grin

petalsandstars Sat 11-Jul-15 07:44:27

A normal door into the side of garage. Extra sockets inside. Outside lights.

shinysparklythings Sat 11-Jul-15 07:50:56

Quitelikely, when we bought ours it was from a local homebuilder and we could change as much as we wanted except for supporting walls as they had already started building.

fairycakecentral Sat 11-Jul-15 07:52:58

We moved to a new build 7 months ago. We could choose our kitchen from a certain range (or pay the difference if we wanted fancier), we chose the tiles and wet walks but nothing else - the flooring we had to get fitted ourselves.

However, we have a ton of sockets, a TV point in all the bedrooms, outdoor lights both front nd back, outdoor tap, front and back lawn were turfed and the fences at the back are sturdy 6 footers and more than survived the horrific weather we had in nov and December.

You might wish to have a say in where the radiators go, make sure there is a clear end date (ours was 6 weeks over, but of course we'd sold our house before that so needed flexible dates for renting as twice we thought we were moving in but it got delayed - that was the worst part of the whole pprocess.)

Congratulations! It's very exciting. The houses across the road from us are still being built and we see a young couple come and keep looking at their house as it is being built. We feel excited for them!

OctopusArmEnvy Sat 11-Jul-15 22:56:11

Thanks guys - great info.
Don't think we can change layout but definately sockets, landscaping, outdoor taps, spots, flooring tiling etc- there is a huge additions list which could end up quite pricey so I guess we have to compromise ;-)
I was thinking of not having an integrated fridge freezer but upgrading the work top to composite. I'm also torn about getting fitted wardrobes in bedrooms 1 and 2...
Decisions decisions...
Bizarrely the dividing fencing is not included but the fence posts are!! They said they might put that in next doors specs for free when it sells so we don't need to worry but it feels like it's a basic need to me!! Xx

shinysparklythings Sun 12-Jul-15 07:42:02

Exciting! We got a quote for fitted wardrobes for our bedroom and it was ridiculous about £2000 iirc! So instead we just bought a huge ikea wardrobe that fits in the space almost perfectly.

I remember looking at lots of different builders and being shocked how little was included by some. As if an outside tap is a luxury! That some builders charged £80 for. Pretty much everything was included in ours.

shabbycaddy Sun 12-Jul-15 14:13:11

This may sound stupid, but some new builds are under code for sustainable homes and the builder can't fit an outside tap and fit a water butt instead, however obviously when you move in you can fit a tap, usual strange government policy's.

newstart15 Sun 12-Jul-15 16:56:57

We're considering a new build so this thread is very useful.

Could I ask if people have a building survey when buying a new build or do they rely on NHBC?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now