Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Can you look at this house please

(108 Posts)
ItsAllAboutEve Fri 10-Jul-15 12:24:08

And tell my why we aren't getting any viewings? We're desperate to sell need all the advice we can get.

m.primelocation.com/for-sale/details/37418753?search_identifier=be4ae289f66cc01dc6c0735b0ddf0e4e

MabelSideswipe Fri 10-Jul-15 12:28:26

No expert but the living room is very cluttered and this and the decor makes it look smaller than it is. The staircase with no rail would put lots off to. Beautiful view from the back though.

NotActuallyAMum Fri 10-Jul-15 12:29:46

The white fireplace (is it a fireplace?) in the first picture could do with a spruce up, and whatever is on top of it

Books in same picture look a bit messy

I'd paint the bathroom, lots of people don't like green

Lovely sitting out area

Donthate Fri 10-Jul-15 12:29:52

I wouldn't view because it's too cluttered, looks a bit like a student house and totally open stairs. Is have to replace the kitchen and the wood burner looks old and decrepit. Sorry.

Lagodiatitlan Fri 10-Jul-15 12:30:55

Looks lovely. Especially the view from the back garden. But it is expensive compared to the sold prices on that street this year.
www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices/LA1/Gerrard-Street.html

christinarossetti Fri 10-Jul-15 12:31:56

A quick shuffle through Rightmove suggests that it's overpriced tbh.

The views are wonderful and the decor fine. A bannister would be easy enough to fit.

Ycoitsid Fri 10-Jul-15 12:32:41

I would Repaint the kitchen and bathroom a neutral colour. Then try to make the garden a little less overlooked while also maintaining the view

StonedGalah Fri 10-Jul-15 12:33:14

I'd paint the kitchen, those colours are too dark sorry. And probably the bathroom while l was at it.

Need a floor plan too. I always think there's something dodgy about the layout if there isn't one!

christinarossetti Fri 10-Jul-15 12:33:59

I think you need to decide whether you're in a position to pur a bit of money into redecorating/sprucing up and go for a higher price.

Or whether you are prepared and able to move at a lower price.

ItsAllAboutEve Fri 10-Jul-15 12:34:01

Don't apologises. I really do want advice. We are a bit hippyish and it's hard to see how to make the house look more modern. I hate the lack of handrail on the stairs too.

I'm taking all this on board. We can definitely get rid of clutter into the loft and put some neutral emulsion on the walls.

Ycoitsid Fri 10-Jul-15 12:34:17

It's looks bigger then other houses on the street?

Pantone363 Fri 10-Jul-15 12:34:22

Looks fine to me. Your Rayburn is lovely don't replace shock.

SqueezyCheeseWeasel Fri 10-Jul-15 12:35:00

I think it looks very charming. I love the woodburner (it isn't supposed to look scrupulously perfect), the front door and the stone frontage.

The kitchen looks like a great size but I the red does it a disservice, lighten it up a bit.

The description says "3bed" but the pics only show 1 room with a bed in it and that looks squashed in.

I would probably get rid of one of the pine dressers in the living room.

The views and position looks lovely though. I like lots about it, it is very charming and has bags of potential. How's the price? I don't know the locale.

BeatieBo Fri 10-Jul-15 12:35:17

I think it looks lovely. However you need to show the study as a bedroom I think. At the moment it's just a picture of the floor and notice board. Show buyers that it is a bedroom. I also wouldn't bother with the loft photo. Although it is a positive that you can access it by the staircase I think it just makes people question why it isn't converted. As there is a photo it seems to be being promoted as a selling point so as a buyer I would question whether I am being asked to pay more for a room that isn't finished and would cost me money to sort out.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Fri 10-Jul-15 12:35:20

It's really sweet. Is the price right? If it is, I'd be tempted to paint it a neutral shade all the way through, you could do it in a weekend. Other than that, keep it really tidy and clean smelling, and maybe put any stuff you aren't using into the loft to make it look less cluttered.

christinarossetti Fri 10-Jul-15 12:35:48

The other houses that have sold on Gerrard Street this year certainly look much less modern than yours, although they've sold for a significant lower amount than your house is on the market for.

SqueezyCheeseWeasel Fri 10-Jul-15 12:36:07

Sorry for random I !

SoupDragon Fri 10-Jul-15 12:36:09

I'm not convinced the Rayburn brings a positive to the look - it's very scruffy and I think this really affects the look of the living room.

I agree that the stairs need hand rails.

Are you sure the price is right?

I'm not sure it would affect viewings but I would pack away as many books as possible and perhaps remove a dresser or two from the living room.

ItsAllAboutEve Fri 10-Jul-15 12:37:21

I've emailed agent about floor plan.

It's hard to gage a price because the other houses on the street are much smaller in terms of room size. I think we do need to look at lowering the price as we can't afford to do a huge amount to the house.

EvilSideKick Fri 10-Jul-15 12:37:28

I don't know the area so can't comment on price. Immediate impression is the advert is poorly written and photos do not give a good feel for the useable space. Strange pictures of a damaged fireplace do not help people picture themselves living there. Same for what looks like a junk room which needs clearing out. One of the first comments on the write up is that there is a combi boiler. Is that really the best point about the house? Surely the things to focus on are beautiful scenery/views and location. To make the advert more appealing I would declutter the house to give sense of space and make rooms more neutral with white paint. Give the feeling of light and spacious. Having said of all that everything sells at the right price so maybe it is over priced. Good luck.

Paddingtonthebear Fri 10-Jul-15 12:38:21

Rooms look cluttered downstairs. Could you take some stuff out? Also repaint the bolder colours to something more neutral?
I think it's a bit overpriced for the street and I don't think the agents internal photos are that great at all. What is their feedback from viewings so far?
I work in the industry. Lovely views and great potential though.

mysteryfairy Fri 10-Jul-15 12:38:49

Box up loads of your books and CDs. They look untidy and imply not enough storage. Remove junk from back of kitchen door for same reason.

Repaint the bathroom a more neutral colour. Possibly do same in kitchen too - personally I don't mind that as much but suspect the colour would put many off.

Could dress things like the fireplace in a more contemporary way - I know it shouldn't count for much but it does help people to visualise living there.

Lollipopgirl8 Fri 10-Jul-15 12:38:57

Gorgeous house

Declutter more in kitchen and living room

Perhaps repaint in bathroom and kitchen units/ walls if possible to more neutral colours

The open staircase is going to be a big no no for most people with children its already an issue being in the kitchen as a lot people like staircase in hallway. Obviously resisting it would expensive but I would seriously consider putting in a balustrade or some sort of safety measure saw something similar on Sarah Beenys selling houses and she also recommended seller make her staircase child friendly to improve saleability.

I really think you could do more to sell the loft room as a useable space .

Think about price as previous poster has mentioned..,

SwedishEdith Fri 10-Jul-15 12:39:45

I'd view it if I was looking. But, paint the kitchen and bathroom walls - white or pale blue (like your bedroom) in the bathroom and a pale grey in the kitchen. Probably not your taste but neutral and contemporary. If you can, I'd get rid of the wooden dressers in the living room. Can you store them in the loft for a while? And thin out and tidy up the books on the bookshelves.

LoisWilkersonsLastNerve Fri 10-Jul-15 12:40:41

I like it, its very much like my house smile But.... Paint the kitchen and bathroom in neutral colours and maybe lower the price slightly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now