Talk

Advanced search

DIY / Handyperson in London

(18 Posts)
hackneyLass Fri 10-Jul-15 12:08:07

I'm looking for a good old-fashioned handyperson to tackle a long list of easy DIY jobs, mostly involving a drill, probably take a day. Could do most of them myself but have 3 very high maintenance DCs with SNs & long term illnesses. Fed up of giving myself a hard time about not doing the jobs. Just want someone reliable and not too ££ (website prices shock). I'm in east London. Any you can recommend?

hackneyLass Fri 10-Jul-15 19:18:19

bump

Bearbehind Fri 10-Jul-15 19:33:21

The trouble is very few tradesman want a little job like this as, if they are any good, they're inundated with work and can afford to cherry pick the most lucrative jobs - believe me, having tried to get quotes for a fairly big job, I've seen how picky they can afford to be in the SE.

Not much help know - sorry.

Have you asked friends/ family/ neighbours for recommendations.

You might find someone who will work on a weekend or evening who'll do it in addition to their day job.

MollyAir Fri 10-Jul-15 19:48:43

I saw a piece about this service in The Standard yesterday, and I'm thinking of trying them:

www.buildinghandyman.org.uk/

Belleview Fri 10-Jul-15 20:00:33

Do you have a local online forum, where you could ask?

CityDweller Fri 10-Jul-15 20:27:59

Are Handy Squad still around? We used them a few years ago and found them good and efficient and no more expensive than using someone found through Checkatrade (or whatever that site is)

hackneyLass Fri 10-Jul-15 22:41:09

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll follow them up. I've tried friends (no family nearby) but basically anyone we knew who did these kind of jobs has been priced out of our area (Hackney)...

Alonglongway Fri 10-Jul-15 23:00:19

Have you looked at Fantastic Services?

IloveCheese11 Sun 12-Jul-15 22:26:07

I'm in W London and we have quite a few handymen round here who seem to do really well picking up the smaller jobs. Do you have a local facebook group as that is where ours advertise?

Belleview Mon 13-Jul-15 08:43:41

What Facebook group is it, cheese? I'm near enough to join, could be useful!

ilovemydoggy Mon 13-Jul-15 08:45:47

What kind of work do you need doing? And where are you? may have someone for you. Pm if you want.

IloveCheese11 Wed 15-Jul-15 22:15:29

I will PM you Belleview.

Gusthetheatrecat Thu 16-Jul-15 00:08:33

Whereabouts in E London are you? I am in E7 and know someone really great smile PM me if you're near enough?

Gusthetheatrecat Thu 16-Jul-15 00:11:13

Hmmm, sorry Hackneylass! Ahem. It's late. I can now clearly see you're in Hackney.
That's not at all far from me. PM me for contact details of handyman who has done some small jobs for me and friends: v reliable, personable and good work too. I save up small-ish drilling type jobs for him that I hate doing myself, then get him round to do a day's worth at once. Is brilliant. smile

EvaBee Thu 16-Jul-15 09:51:06

Have you seen www.streetlife.com/Streetlife OP? It's a great way of getting recommendations of local business and all the other local inside info.

When you register it focuses on your own particular area.

EvaBee Thu 16-Jul-15 09:51:49

www.streetlife.com/

Mireowl Tue 21-Jul-15 22:17:20

We've used Jeth from Kruger DIY for the past few years and he's always been great. Very personable, reasonably priced and concientious. His number is 07951064640 and you can see reviews on his F&B page www.facebook.com/KrugerDIY?ref=ts&fref=ts

hackneyLass Wed 22-Jul-15 16:41:40

Lovely thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now