Talk

Advanced search

Landlords: how to dismiss letting agent?

(4 Posts)
Sabaidee Fri 10-Jul-15 11:33:02

I am renting out my 'single girl' flat having moved in with my boyfriend. For the past year I have used a letting agent who found my tenants and 'managed' the property.

I am very happy with the tenants who have caused no problems. But I have been extremely disappointed by the agents in their 'management'. Yes, they collect the rent, fine. But their only other function seems to be leaching me for more money for spurious reasons! Nothing seems to fall under their remit. Any query the tenants have is forwarded to me to deal with. Any time I ask them to visit the property (5 mins walk down the road from their office) they charge me £65. Although they hold all requisite details (meter readings etc) on file they always ask me for the info rather than look it up themselves.

They didn't even spell "landlord' correctly on the lease!!

I have spoken to the tenants and they are happy to continue in the flat.

How can I get rid of the agent and keep the tenant without paying ridiculous sums?

wowfudge Fri 10-Jul-15 12:08:07

Find your contract with the letting agent and see what the terms are. Alternatively the necessary info may be on their website. As long as you give them the notice required in the ts and cs there shouldn't be a penalty.

You'll need to ensure the rent is paid directly to you by the tenants and, if you don't already have it, ensure your insurance has emergency cover so you can get the relevant tradesperson to the flat in an emergency situation if something goes wrong.

specialsubject Fri 10-Jul-15 13:35:15

check your contract with the agency and meet the exit terms.

tell the tenants what you are doing, give them your own bank details, make sure you are 100% on deposit protection/gas safe etc, and as mentioned get that home emergency cover. Review all your other insurances; malicious damage, legal expenses, rent guarantee while you are at it.

SauvignonPlonker Fri 10-Jul-15 18:13:33

Are you planning to appoint another agent? Or self-manage?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now