Talk

Advanced search

Glass shelves

(5 Posts)
wowfudge Thu 09-Jul-15 16:06:03

We have glass shelves in a niche in the bathroom wall. The niche will soon be tiled internally which means the glass shelves won't fit anymore. Does anyone know if I can have them cut smaller? I presume they are some sort of treated glass - they have a blue tinge to them.

If they can't be trimmed, where can I get replacements from?

PigletJohn Thu 09-Jul-15 17:01:53

A glass merchant.

I would only have Safety Glass in a bathroom. Toughened Glass has to be ordered to your measurements, because it is treated in the factory after being cut, and cannot be cut or shaped afterwards.

The glass merchant can cut 7mm Laminated Glass to size, but you had better ask if it is OK to use for shelves in bathrooms. It is "unbreakable glass" as used in jewellers windows, so it can crack or craze but will not break. Look at your wall brackets to see what thickness of glass they take.

Tell the merchant that you want all the edges polished smooth. Otherwise they may be razor-sharp.

wowfudge Thu 09-Jul-15 17:21:00

Is there nothing you are not knowledgable about wink? Thank you - I suspected getting new shelves would be the answer.

Thistledew Thu 09-Jul-15 17:51:15

What sort of brackets support them at the moment? Would it be possible to basically leave an un-grouted line between a couple of the tiles into which the ends of the glass could slide, thereby supporting the glass on the tiles?

wowfudge Thu 09-Jul-15 19:05:50

Now there's a good idea Thistledew. They're on those little pins with plastic end on (technical term) which look as though they are just hammered it, but they've been painted over so it's not easy to see.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now