Talk

Advanced search

Do I need a boiling water tap if I have an induction hob

(20 Posts)
ecosln Thu 09-Jul-15 11:25:31

We are having a Siemens flex induction 900 hob and was thinking of getting a really nice hob kettle for tea etc and boiling water in pans as I've heard it takes a minute to boil water????! Is this true?

Therefore will I really need a hwt? Will we regret it if we don't put one in?

Should we just leave space in a cupboard under sink to add one in future and just have emergency kettle in utility for now.

We aren't scrimping on the kitchen but just feel it could be excessive to have a hwt to rinse chopping boards and fill some pans. Plus I like the look of one tap.... I like the idea of tea from freshly drawn and boiled water

Although could be convinced otherwise ....

http://www.siemens-home.co.uk/productlist/cooking/hobs/EH975MV17E?breadcrumb=induction

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Thu 09-Jul-15 11:30:25

OOh I genuinely didn't know you could get a hob kettle for an induction hob! I am on that...

Yes, you can boil water very quickly on your induction hob.

To me, the benefit of the boiling water taps is that you then don't need a kettle - getting rid of another piece of clutter on the worktops. So personally I wouldn't have both. I think it's one of those things that sounds like a good idea but really, how necessary is it? Also would be interested to know how much it costs, vs switching the kettle on...

specialsubject Thu 09-Jul-15 12:41:44

whatever the fuel, it is always more efficient to boil up just enough water in the kettle than to do it on the hob.

buy a kettle that lets you boil a small amount of water. Calculations have been done and it will take YEARS to recoup the spend on the boiling water tap.

contortionist Thu 09-Jul-15 12:44:23

We have a Breville Hot Cup for single cups of tea, and a kettle on the hob for bigger brewing jobs. I think it's a great combination. The Hot Cup does take up space, but is easier than a hot water tap if you're just making a single cup of tea, since you just push a button and then come back in a couple of minutes to a brew (and the water is freshly boiled).

Lelivre Thu 09-Jul-15 13:00:50

Hi, I have both. The convenience of instant boiling water I really like. I end up reboiling kettles quite a bit as I have the distraction of two little ones. Also the water tastes better from the tap (which I didn't expect because of the flask etc) than the kettle but it dispenses at boiling point (not all do). I'm a impatient soil and hate stuff on the counters so it suits me well. I also think it is safer than a kettle. I do have two taps the boiling one is over the half bowl, I think that's ok because I can make that tap out of bounds to the kids and no one is going to interrupt my work at the sink if they want to make tea.

No one needs one really but it is nice and...we like ours a lot more than we expected we would.

Lilymaid Thu 09-Jul-15 13:04:59

I've got a hob kettle (Le Creuset stainless) for my AEG induction hob and it will boil water very fast on the power setting (though it sounds like a space ship about to launch).

Lelivre Thu 09-Jul-15 13:05:28

Also I seriously scrimped on my kitchen and I would say save money elsewhere and add one. Especially if you are at home a lot, like hot drinks etc. Oh and if you are a lazy impatient cook (like me) as getting pasta rice veg etc going when you cook is speeded up fantastically!

Mrsladybirdface Thu 09-Jul-15 17:55:54

exactly the same as Lelivresmile
it's an extravagant luxury item but I love it. I have a smallish kitchen and I love having no appliances out.

TheUnwillingNarcheska Thu 09-Jul-15 18:46:15

I have both, I don't use the hob to boil water from cold, I use the hot water tap to fill the pan then put it on to boil on the hob for pasta/rice. But yes, it does boil water faster on an induction hob than any other.

When I bought my instant hot water tap (not boiling) it was less than £400 2 years ago whereas now they seem to have shot up in price.

I love it, and I love love love my induction hob.

Belindabelle Thu 09-Jul-15 18:48:47

I really wanted a hot water tap but everything was going over budget, so as they can be retro fitted fairly easily, we decided to leave it for the time being.
Obviously you don't miss what you've never had but I am happy with the decision and don't think we will bother getting one.

I've always had a stove top kettle but on the induction hob it boils super fast. Big pans of water for pasta boil in a few minutes.
I drink a lot of tea but I like the whole ceremony of using fresh water, boiling the kettle, warming the pot etc. I would worry that tea would taste funny as the water is not fresh.

I also think it must takes years to recoup the cost.

MrsJamin Thu 09-Jul-15 20:24:30

There's a boiling tap at work and it is always breaking down, it's totally put me off. I think it's good for an office space but really pointless unless you really do have dozens of cups of tea a day.

ecosln Thu 09-Jul-15 20:33:32

Thanks all for your replies... I think I'll fwd this to my dh and he can read his first ever mumsnet thread...

I might wait and see what my spreadsheet ££ says as we are doing a total renovation and extension. Retrofit might be the only option left!

AliceInSandwichLand Thu 09-Jul-15 21:10:09

We have a boiling water tap and an induction hob, no kettle. DH was the one who wanted the tap, and I thought it was a stupid gimmick, but actually I love it, for the same reasons as Lelivre above, though we are not very tidy - but at least it gets rid of one bit of counter clutter. The tea does not taste funny, and having instant boiling water comes in handy for all sorts of purposes. I am sure it will take ages to recoup the cost, but of all the things we have had in the new kitchen (2 years ago) it has been one of the most successful IMO - and we are pleased with everything, so I don't mean it's the best of a bad bunch! I do use it to start things off more quickly on the hob, but if for some reason I use cold water, the hob is pretty quick anyway.

LucyPie Thu 09-Jul-15 21:18:53

We have the Siemens iq700 flex induction EH879SP17E (just one flex section) and to be honest since fitting a couple of months ago we have only used the flex bit a couple of times so maybe save a bit on the hob and definitely get a boiling water tap.

We absolutely love our boiling water tap and when we were without it whilst the new kitchen was being fitted we missed it so much. The water comes out boiling and tea tastes great. Head start on pasta and veg. Also really useful for soaking cooking pans or a quick burst to top up the sink when washing up.

If you plan to retrofit, make sure that the length of the hose can reach from the tap hole to the tank (extension hoses are available for some brands) and if you are having a drawer under your sink make sure the tank will fit in the remaining space.

Don't even think about the number of years to recoup the cost of a boiling water tap - view it as a wonderfully useful gadget not an eco tap to save money. Have you looked at the payback time of your favourite hob, the massive fridge/freezer, the dishwasher, the side by side ovens and warming drawers ;)

RandomMess Fri 10-Jul-15 20:41:24

I've got a cheap hob top kettle for our induction hob, it's really really quick and I only put the water in it that we need...

Do both if you can afford to though as you seem to want to?

DoesItReallyMatter Sat 11-Jul-15 00:15:34

I'd go for a breville hot cup too with a kettle in case you need to boil a large amount of water.

ouryve Sat 11-Jul-15 00:16:33

Of course you don't need one. How hard is it to boil 250ml of water in a kettle, anyhow?

DoesItReallyMatter Sat 11-Jul-15 00:51:40

ouryve You'd be surprised wink.... normal kettles feel painfully slow to me now. confused

RunRunAsFastishAsYouCan Sat 11-Jul-15 08:28:20

I got the Breville hot cup and took it back as the water wasn't boiling and the tea tasted awful.

DoesItReallyMatter Sat 11-Jul-15 09:18:11

They had problems with the earlier breville hot cups with the water not being hot enough but that was a few (?) years ago. The newer models where you an vary the amount being boiled are ok.
There are lots of reviews saying the same thing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now