Talk

Advanced search

Haggling with a builder's quote?

(8 Posts)
mandy214 Thu 09-Jul-15 11:22:25

Have planning permission to extend.

Quotes are at the top end of what we expected, even above really. I know there have been quite a few post in the last few weeks about shock at quotes but we've done quite a bit of research, used the guidelines as to what to expect etc so I think we were pretty realistic. Difficulty is that we live in an expensive area where I think most things come at a premium.

Builders we approached have all been recommended so am sure they're not over-estimating too much. So just looking for advice about the wisdom of trying to get the quotes reduced. If they do come down, are they likely to cut corners? Are we likely to cheese them off before we've even started? Are they unlikely to want the job anyway?

Any advice greatly received.

mandy214 Thu 09-Jul-15 11:22:48

sorry meant gratefully received!

yomellamoHelly Thu 09-Jul-15 14:46:12

My worry would be that if you did haggle when unexpected things come up you have no leeway left for the builder to swallow it and get on with the job so the final price becomes a moveable feast. (Is why we didn't haggle.)

Lelivre Thu 09-Jul-15 14:59:32

I wonder if you could explain your budget/financial situation and open up a dialogue with your preferred company; as to how you might be able to make adjustments to stay within your means.

mandy214 Thu 09-Jul-15 15:25:26

That's useful advice, thank you. Its just guidance on whether most builders expect some leeway - so price accordingly. I think we will go back to the builder we prefer and have a chat.

ThunderboltKid Thu 09-Jul-15 16:56:35

We had post tender conversations with a couple of our preferred builders. Explained what our budget was and asked how we could bring the quote down. Ultimately, don't be prepared for them to just knock it off their profits...we compromised on a few changes/quality of some materials we weren't too fussed about/plus he knocked a bit off as well.

wonkylegs Thu 09-Jul-15 17:10:58

Small builder profit margins are not massive so to reduce costs you will as somebody else said probably have to make compromises rather than rely on haggling on their margins.
Generally a good builder should be able to make suggestions on how to make savings ( they may do something slightly differently or use a slightly different product) as long as you have this conversation now.
As soon as you start work changes tend to cost money, clients changing their mind on even small things can have a massive knock on effect, most people don't realise.
You don't have to accept all or any of their suggestions but if you need to reduce costs and most of your quotes are at a similar level than this is probably the way to do it.

mandy214 Thu 09-Jul-15 18:33:54

Fab advice, thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now