Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Little Greene v Sandtex V Dulux when choosing external Eggshell

(4 Posts)
Woopsiedaisy Thu 09-Jul-15 09:58:53

Am having the outside windows painted on very old listed property.

Last time I used Sandtex and after 4 years it has cracked on the joints. I have had a joiner here this week and he has also commented that some of the window bars were very wet when he removed the paint to fit new window glass.

I am therefore wondering if Sandtex is the most sensible choice this time around.

Has anyone used Little Green exterior eggshell and been pleased with it?

What about Dulux?

I would really appreciate any views / experiences

schloss Thu 09-Jul-15 17:49:48

Hi,

Used LGP Oil Based Eggshell on over 20 sash windows plus 6 external doors. Very pleased. Make sure it is not used in very hot or cold weather when applying plus used Owatrol to mix with it so it was workable for longer especially if weather warmer. Takes a long while to fully dry ( as all oil based paints would).

S.

Woopsiedaisy Sun 12-Jul-15 11:47:54

Thank you for coming back to me.

I have decided to go with it and really appreciate your tip about the Owatrol.

How long since you painted your house schloss. i am interested in whether it will last longer than the Sandtex I used last time. That started breaking down after two years !!

schloss Sun 12-Jul-15 12:47:51

Coming up 2 years now and we are happy as no peeling or cracking. We had experienced the same as you with other paints. The weather can be fairly harsh here too.

We used thin coats and waiting until fully dry which sometimes, especially on the sash windows could be days, before adding the next coat.

Here are a couple of pics about 18 months on.

Hope that helps.

S

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now