Talk

Advanced search

How would you lay out this kitchen diner?

(13 Posts)
LikeASoulWithoutAMind Mon 06-Jul-15 19:50:11

The plan is to knock through between the existing kitchen and dining room to create one L shaped room. We'd love to add at least one set of patio doors if not two as well.

I can't quite picture what would go where though? The door to the utility feels like it's in the way.

Also do you think there is room to create a seating area with a small sofa or a couple of armchairs? Or is that too much to squeeze into the space?

Any ideas very much appreciated.

SwedishEdith Mon 06-Jul-15 19:59:00

Are the current kitchen units staying or is the whole L shaped room a blank canvas?

SilasGreenback Mon 06-Jul-15 20:04:45

I agree the utility door seems a problem as the natural position for the kitchen is an L on the rear wall and side with utility and then an island in front. This would mean that both windows could become double doors.
I would think by one end could be dining table and by the other a small sitting area.

LikeASoulWithoutAMind Mon 06-Jul-15 20:07:41

Total blank canvas swedish

I know silas sad Can't think of where we could move the utility door to though?

lalalonglegs Mon 06-Jul-15 20:11:18

How easy would it be to move the kitchen into the dining room area and then have the larger kitchen area for a dining table and sofa?

OnePlanOnHouzz Mon 06-Jul-15 21:19:11

Don't think of the utility door being in the way - it just needs to be hidden into the design a big like this ..
houzz.com/photos/2227061

If most of that end of the design is tall cabinets /FF etc it's easy to hide the door !

OnePlanOnHouzz Mon 06-Jul-15 21:20:20

Lol ! My typos get worse as the evening light fades ! Sorry !
' a bit like this ' that should say !!

mandy214 Mon 06-Jul-15 21:43:31

Can you move the utility door further towards the kitchen do it'd kind of in the middle of that room. I think you could have the kitchen pretty much where it is now, a small sofa & armchair perhaps at the other end of the kitchen then a table & chairs in the current dining room. If you'd prefer the table in the kitchen, then switch the table & sofa.

SilasGreenback Tue 07-Jul-15 10:54:36

I think mandy is right about moving the door as far towards the current kitchen as you can. It's not the hiding the door that is so much a problem I should imagine, but in the layout with all tall cupboards on that wall you would have very little work surface, but maybe the island would make up for it. Moving the kitchen ends will mean a sink with no window so I guess it depends how important that is to you?

LikeASoulWithoutAMind Wed 08-Jul-15 09:35:53

Thanks for all your thoughts. Yes I think the utility door could be moved a bit (maybe not quite as much as the plan would suggest, but definitely a bit!)

I'm wondering if maybe leaving kitchen where it is and putting a sofa along the back wall would be the best option?

lalalonglegs Wed 08-Jul-15 13:58:35

I've had another look and think that the best solution would be to move the kitchen so that it is a row of mostly tall cupboards at the back of the room with a small counter in the centre for a hob. This run of units could possibly run a little way into what is currently the dining room and then there would be a large island in front of it. You could then either have the sitting area or the dining area where the current kitchen units are and whichever one doesn't go there in the current dining room. The utility room door could stay where it is.

This layout would also mean that you can see into both ends of the L while you are cooking so would feel less cut off from the action if you wanted to keep an eye on children or chat to people while you prepare food.

suzyrut Wed 08-Jul-15 16:56:30

We're just in the process of creating an l-shaped kitchen diner/sitting area and I fretted about the layout for a long time so I feel your pain. If I was you I would have a long run of tall units against the garage wall with a long island in front of it.

If possible I would then hang the utility room door so it opens inwards so the space around your island unit at the front doesn't need to take into account the door opening as well.

I would put bi-folds where the sink currently is and have the dining table in front of them and then a sofa in the existing dining room.

The only watch out might be where your plumbing would go but I think otherwise it could be lovely.

LikeASoulWithoutAMind Wed 08-Jul-15 17:23:32

Thanks lala and suzy - that sounds interesting - will have a good think about how that might work.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now