Talk

Advanced search

Student flatshare - subletting nightmare - help!

(6 Posts)
CatelynStark Mon 06-Jul-15 17:08:27

My daughter shares a flat with three other students. One has stayed there over the summer and the other two have moved out, although their tenancy doesn't end until the end of August.

My daughter has been overseas for two months and has just found out that the two who've moved on have sublet their rooms to other students. She gets back next week and is frightened to speak to the subletters, as she doesn't like or trust either of them (one has form for theft) and she doesn't have a lock on her bedroom door.

Each student has had their parents/grandparents rigorously checked by the letting agent in order to be guarantors.

The landlord is a decent man who does pop round unannounced to do repairs - so my daughter is terrified that he'll find out and either evict her or retain her deposit.

I have no idea what to do - has anyone got any advice, please?

specialsubject Mon 06-Jul-15 18:34:15

she needs to contact the landlord (who is by the way breaking her right to 'quiet enjoyment' so he is incompetent at best...). However the issue of the wrong people being in the house is more important.

This is an HMO (house in multiple occupation) so some rules are different, but it would be very unusual for the tenancy to allow subletting to randoms.

call the landlord, it is his problem.

lalalonglegs Mon 06-Jul-15 19:04:34

While she is on the phone to him, she can ask permission to put a lock on her door.

CatelynStark Mon 06-Jul-15 19:30:37

Thank you.

specialsubject Mon 06-Jul-15 19:36:08

sorry, missed the important bit - he can't retain her deposit for this (it is protected, right?) and SHE hasn't breached the terms of the tenancy.

they may all be jointly liable for the rent, but that's what the guarantors are for.

CatelynStark Mon 06-Jul-15 20:26:15

Oh that's a relief! Thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now