Talk

Advanced search

silverfish and a fumer

(6 Posts)
hippy234 Sun 05-Jul-15 08:15:21

We moved to our house just over a year ago. It had been empty for a couple of years and not well maintained. We have been plagued with silverfish and now we have to take action. I am considering using a fumer, but I can't figure out how much prep to do. Do I remove all food, cutlery, etc. or just leave them in the cupboards. I assume I leave the baby's toys out. Any advice?

RawCoconutMacaroon Sun 05-Jul-15 08:41:43

They are a sign of damp... Fumigation is not going to cure the source of the damp, it would be a temporary fix.

We bought a house/renovation project which took several years to dry out properly and that included repair works to badly fitted windows and areas of rot under the house (none of this was apparent, but the leaks were there).

It might be a good idea to get someone in with a damp meter to assess where the damp areas are.

RawCoconutMacaroon Sun 05-Jul-15 08:45:23

As you have only been in the house for a year, if it was very damp due to being empty, it could still be drying out. Make sure it's heated properly in winter and think about running a dehumidifier (and no drying washing inside either!).

PigletJohn Sun 05-Jul-15 10:42:07

I would also use an "Ant and crawling insect" spray that leaves aa lasting dry film on hard surfaces.

Clean thoroughly first because you have to re-apply after wet or damp wiping or mopping.

hippy234 Sun 05-Jul-15 15:21:47

Yes, we are getting to the bottom of the damp issue. The only rooms that haven't been completely renovated are the downstairs toilet and living room, which need new everything (plasterboard, etc.) and that is where the problem stems from. Once everything is ripped out I want to do something to kills some off, but not sure how to prep house for fumigation.

LJH79 Tue 07-Jul-15 09:22:50

We just took up tiles in kicthen and lots of silver fish ran out. Never seen them before but apparently quite common to be under tiles as in the concrete underneath. We just used ant spray and this killed them off and not seen any since. We don't have any damp at all either and this was checked last week in preparation for new floor. That any spray lasts for few weeks as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now