Talk

Advanced search

Woodworm

(6 Posts)
Janek Sat 04-Jul-15 10:10:31

DP is convinced we have woodworm in our wooden floors - the fairly-recently-painted stairs have holes in (which he thinks would be painted over if they were old) and we also have a five-year-old section of floor that apparently has holes in too.

What the hell do we do about? I have a bad feeling that ignoring this in the hope it goes away will not work in this case...

PigletJohn Sat 04-Jul-15 10:25:17

"the fairly-recently-painted stairs have holes in (which he thinks would be painted over if they were old)"

that is probably true.

Have a look underneath the stairs, look for wood dust, frass, holes. Hoover it all, then any new material will be very obvious.

I expect your house is old. Worm don't like modern centrally-heated houses because the wood is too dry. They like warm, undisturbed, dark places, like under the stairs, the bathroom floor, and round the loft hatch where warmth creeps up in winter. If you have bought any second-hand wooden or wicker furniture, worm may come out of it and infest the house.

The house ought to have been inspected for worm each time it was mortgaged in the last 50 years or so, and usually a certificate of treatment is required.

Inspect the loft timbers, because damage here can be very serious. Scrape away loose material and poke the wood with a flat-ended screwdriver (not anything round or pointed as the marks will look like worm holes).

Spraying is not expensive, but it smells and you have the work of removing carpets and other coverings. Parts of Southern counties around Surrey have the Long Horned Beetle which is very destructive and treatment is essential.

Raasay Sat 04-Jul-15 10:29:55

Call Rentokil they will come out and do a survey for you. Our survey cost about £50 but it may depend on house size.

If it's historic they will tell you.

If it's current they will give you a quotation for fixing it (not too difficult).

After we had ours fixed we paid the Rentokil insurance (about £40 PA) which meant any future reoccurrence they fix it at no charge.

Janek Sat 04-Jul-15 10:37:54

Thanks for that. Luckily (!) the bathroom is out the back with no wooden floor and we have no carpets, so it could be worse i guess. How would they have got to the loft hatch/loft joists? Do the beetles fly? Or would it just be up there if we had put infested furniture up there?

Chief suspects are some wooden furniture that came from the ILs 6.5 years ago. And unfortunately there was some wicker furniture that we are keeping in the loft (and will probably never use, ironically).

So do we just paint every wooden surface in the house with some treatment stuff?

The annoying thing is, i have never seen any sawdust, although dp's eagle eyes have spotted the odd beetle. At least we're not in Surrey...

Raasay Sat 04-Jul-15 10:41:20

No, I wouldn't try to self treat.

Get Rentokil (or similar company) to do it for you.

It's very, very important that it's fixed properly or it could massively impact the value of your house.

PigletJohn Sat 04-Jul-15 11:25:01

they can fly, but prefer to walk.

I would get a contractor in. I do use wood preserver myself, but only when adding or repairing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now