Talk

Advanced search

Dripping tap virgin.

(11 Posts)
Diydolly Thu 02-Jul-15 21:44:21

I've had enough, it has to stop. Never done this before but can you tell me if I'm right?

Turn off water
Run tap to empty pipe
Unscrew screw (shown)
Take out & replace washer
Put screw back
Turn water back on

Is it that easy or am I missing something? Does my tap have two washers one each side, or should I be unscrewing the central bit? I feel like a cub scout going for my first badge...

oh, & I was just about to polish that tap honest

diydolly Fri 03-Jul-15 09:20:12

Pleassseeee...... blush

SoupDragon Fri 03-Jul-15 09:26:26

From memory, I don't think you undo the screw. I have a feeling I have made that mistake and it doesn't access the washer. I think you need to undo the big nut shaped part. It can be tough to undo.

I've only done single taps but I think there would be a washer for each side.

SoupDragon Fri 03-Jul-15 09:27:01

I would wait for someone who is absolutely sure before starting though!

PigletJohn Fri 03-Jul-15 10:10:17

You take off the screw to remove the capstan, then the easy-clean shroud, then the large nut, and unscrew the headwork. Use vinegar on bits that are stuck with timescale. You will see the washer when you lift out the headwork. You will need Bath Tap sized washers.

You will need
Tap washers
Medium and small size adjustable wrenches (get a set in a supermart or DIY shed. Today you need a 4 inch and an 8 inch)
Good screwdrivers of the exact size and shape (get a set with Chrome Vanadium blades and if you do not abuse them opening lids or levering nails they will last a long time)
Green nylon pan scourer for cleaning parts before reassembly
Roll of PTFE tape to put on the screw thread of headworks before screwing in to prevent leaks (DIY shed)

You will probably find a video on videojug.

If you ever see the big red DIY manual by Readers Digest or the AA one in a charity shop, buy it.

If you use poor quality screwdrivers, or ones that are not a precise fit, you will damage the screw and never get it out. If that old tap has cross-headed screws they are probably Philips not modern Pozidrive.

I am on a tablet today so can't find links.

PigletJohn Fri 03-Jul-15 10:17:32

Looking at the picture, yours might not have an easyclean shroud.

If you bang or lever the ears on the capstan, they will break off.

If you happen to see silicone grease on the plumbing shelf, get some (it is not widely sold)

PlainHunting Fri 03-Jul-15 11:14:41

Thank you so much for posting this. I keep meaning to post and ask the same question

<listens to tap that has been dripping for some days now in background>

PigletJohn Fri 03-Jul-15 11:57:24

more modern taps might have a replaceable cartridge rather than a washer. If it is an import by an unknown maker, the cartridge might be unobtainable (especially if it is a Ceramic valve). If it is an import by some fashionable maker the cartridge might be ludicrously expensive.

Washers (and taps) will wear out, go loose, and drip, if someone screws them down with great force (this is usually an older person who is accustomed to living in a house with dripping taps). I don't know how long a good tap, that is not overtightened, lasts, because none of the taps I fitted in my own houses have ever dripped or worn out.

PigletJohn Fri 03-Jul-15 12:52:11

yours is similar to this

PigletJohn Fri 03-Jul-15 12:53:47

unlike the woman in the vid, put the plug in, and lay an old towel under the taps.

Otherwise screws and small parts will fall down the plughole, and when you drop the wrench, it will chip the bath or crack the basin.

PigletJohn Fri 03-Jul-15 12:55:07

don't use wire wool like her, as it will scratch the chrome. Use the green nylon pan scourer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now