Talk

Advanced search

How can I block this gap?

(10 Posts)
Helgathehairy Thu 02-Jul-15 09:49:01

Posted this in chat the other day but no replies. Probably should have come straight here!

Anyway after a lot of work our patio is done and is lovely and great and enclosed for DD EXCEPT for a big problem. There's a big drop from the wall and gate at the back of this picture. I need a way to block DD (but let the dog through) from the steps in the foreground.

The gap is 55inches and I can't find a baby hate that long.

Any suggestions?

pookamoo Thu 02-Jul-15 09:50:07

Could you get a dog gate, or get a handyman to make you a little gate to the right size?

Helgathehairy Thu 02-Jul-15 09:56:00

Forgot the pic

pookamoo Thu 02-Jul-15 09:59:49

My friend has dogs and a local farrier made her a gate that was bespoke for the gap she had. It wasn't too expensive, and looked great.

Helgathehairy Thu 02-Jul-15 10:31:14

The problem with getting a gate made is all our fencing is black ironwork (you can see a bit in the picture) so the gate would have to be that or would look really out of place and that would cost €1000. So that's out.

We've already sort almost €10,000 on the amount of fencing we've had done so looking for something a bit cheaper and temperory.

pookamoo Thu 02-Jul-15 17:28:34

Ouch! My friend's gate is black wrought iron and wasn't nearly as much sad

Actually I think it's powder coated steel.

Could you get two baby gates and bolt them together?

PigletJohn Thu 02-Jul-15 17:53:04

I don't know how to get it to match the £10,000 railings and also be cheap.

You can get fairly inexpensive steel gates, they are usually painted black. You might find some ready-made in the right size, or it might cost a few hundred from a gate co. They will go rusty in time, but you don't want them to last for ever.

e.g. www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WROUGHT-IRON-STEEL-GATES-HEAVY-DUTY-DRIVEWAY-GATE-MADE-TO-MEASURE-OXFORD-/120723673401?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c1bb11139

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WROUGHT-IRON-METAL-GATE-GARDEN-GATES-FREE-FITTINGS-/150369713160?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2302bbbc08

I would be wanting a proper hinge, which is probably not allowed for in your railings, but you could perhaps have a ring near the top which would hang over your railings, or some hooks top and bottom. Unless it is padlocked, a determined child will open it.

Bolting it to the flagstones would only be temporary, as the flags will move from the swinging of the gate.

Bamaluz Thu 02-Jul-15 18:31:28

How about a safety gate
Although I suppose they are meant for indoors really.
Or adapt an animal pen - like one

Bamaluz Thu 02-Jul-15 18:34:02

That second one was meant to link to the octagonal run, but you can make it any shape, or split it to make a gate.

Helgathehairy Sun 05-Jul-15 19:01:33

piglet john I don't mind something temperory being cheap - it's a permanent gate we'd want to match the rest.

An adapted dog pen is an idea.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now