Talk

Advanced search

How do I clean these bricks?

(9 Posts)
Deckthehallswithdesperation Wed 01-Jul-15 19:07:16

Is it possible to clean bricks? My neighbour has the same and has sanded his with a belt sander but I was under the impression that is bad because you 'deface' the brick. I seem to remember a little scrub with a brush and washing up liquid some years ago didn't achieve much. I wonder if a jet wash might do more harm than good? Is there anything I can do to safely lift the old grime?

LegoComplex Wed 01-Jul-15 19:08:44

DP (groundworker) said that brick acid would be the best thing smile

Sunnyshores Wed 01-Jul-15 19:18:08

Be really careful with the brick acid - but works a treat.

Deckthehallswithdesperation Wed 01-Jul-15 19:52:48

Will Google, never heard of it!

PigletJohn Thu 02-Jul-15 10:08:08

It dissolves cement, concrete and mortar. And skin and eyeballs. So only put it on the marks.

Have you tried a dry stiff nylon brush?

PigletJohn Thu 02-Jul-15 10:10:41

p.s.

Looking at the marks, I think they're dirt, not mortar.

Is the house old enough to have lived through coal fires, factory chimneys, soot and pollution?

Deckthehallswithdesperation Thu 02-Jul-15 14:40:53

Yes dirt marks probably from pollution. A stiff scrubbing brush, washing up liquid & a bucket of water did nothing. Maybe I should sand like my neighbour? Don't want to dissolve the mortar.

PolterGoose Thu 02-Jul-15 15:11:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PigletJohn Thu 02-Jul-15 15:14:40

sanding will damage the face of the bricks. Your look like a soft red, modern facing bricks will be damaged a lot more as they have a decorative layer on the front.

Try a stiff dry brush. Water may make dirt soak in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now