Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

kitchen unit pull-out corners

(26 Posts)
PigletJohn Wed 01-Jul-15 14:58:21

What's you favourite type?

I am used to the "magic corners" made of chromed steel rods that come out in two halves, but it seems to me they are noisy and can bend out of adjustment.

I am considering the ones with a kidney shaped plastic shelf that pulls and swivels.

Not too keen on the rotating half-round shelves as they don't use all the space in the cabinet.

Any preference?

Olecranon Wed 01-Jul-15 15:20:08

I didn't like either of them and gave gone for the corner cupboards with 2 doors that open up completely. I got 2 of these and I am loving them.

TremoloGreen Wed 01-Jul-15 15:52:02

Yes yes to the kidney shaped ones. Most efficient use of space and easiest access. I think they call them le mans?

Deckthehallswithdesperation Wed 01-Jul-15 20:00:13

Ive got Le Mans too. They're a funny shape but they're good in that they do pull totally out. Negatives are that they have very low sides so you can't stack much up.

OhEmGeee Wed 01-Jul-15 20:30:29

I've got the kidney things, I think they're brilliant.

sassytheFIRST Wed 01-Jul-15 20:37:09

We didn't have any when we upgraded our kitchen. They are not really seen by anyone and cost a bomb for something that is convenient at best.

Not having them meant we could get top of the range Fischer & Paykel range, hood and fridge freezer grin

RaisingSteam Wed 01-Jul-15 22:09:33

Decent shelves 2 levels, not too deep, doors that open nice and wide, L shaped unit. But then I don't have a problem bending down occasionally to get to the wok or the cake tins.
Units with one door that go into the corner are an abomination IMO!
If you are set on a Le Mans you can get better quality ones than plastic.

Qwebec Thu 02-Jul-15 01:02:13

we have thosedouble doors
www.cnbhomes.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/incredible-corner-cabinet-hinge-7zaTM.jpg

fantastic and there is so much space all my pots fit in.

123rd Thu 02-Jul-15 14:23:47

I always had the two shelf, two doors that open up extra wide option. All of the "gimmicks " never seem
Worth it to me. I put stuff in the corner unit that I don't need daily access to.

PigletJohn Thu 02-Jul-15 14:54:41

I am attracted to an "L" shaped unit now, but with something in it for ease of access. I saw a video by Blum demonstrating the "le Mans" kidney shelf has less usable capacity than a magic corner, but is much more accessible. Sadly it was in Hungarian which I do not understand.

I feel that technical solutions are more likely to go wrong.

Currently I put things in the corners and never see them again.

useful vid for anyone going through the same decision process

Deckthehallswithdesperation Thu 02-Jul-15 17:53:28

I did see one solution in a posh showroom where the corner carousel was fixed to the doors. To access, you pushed the doors like revolving lobby doors & the inner shelves spun round to meet you. It was probably my favourite corner solution but sadly unique to that particular supplier. Neptune kitchens! That was it. Have a look.

PigletJohn Thu 02-Jul-15 17:59:07

yes, the Blum mechanism is shown about 1'45" of my second video, and an alternative at 1'28". I expect Hafele make something similar.

RaisingSteam Thu 02-Jul-15 22:14:08

We considered one of these 360degree things with a little chopping board on top and a steel door - google "turnmotion" for it.

In the end we used a DIY kitchens standard 900 corner and our fitter put shelves in it like the first picture (you have to remove the L shaped shelf that comes as standard). Doors are hinged one side with 270 hinges and piano hinged to each other.

It is deceptive, you can stack masses in it and things used most frequently you just have near the front. There is not much you have to move other things to get to, IYSWIM and it's helpful to have a big space to put bulky things into.

Depends how much other space you have and where you are along the pack it tight / everything neat and perfectly accessible scale.

MrsFlorrick Sat 04-Jul-15 16:07:19

Pigletjohn. I'm a veteran of both systems. The wire rack magic corner offers far superior and more solid storage over those kidney shaped ones.

The swivelling kidney shaped ones tend to sag after a short while and you can hardly put anything on them. And as they sag the scrape the inside of the cupboard

So definitely magic corner wire rack version. I currently have an excellent one!

wowfudge Sat 04-Jul-15 18:39:38

I used to have a magic corner, in the kitchen in our old house. It was brilliant and I used to store heavy dishes, bakeware, etc in it. Never went wrong in ten years - still going strong when we sold the house.

Suttonmum1 Sat 04-Jul-15 18:46:09

I also have shelves done in a similar way to RaisingSteam. I use that cupboard for tins, some dried stuff etc. (no room for a larder) can also fit in bottles and spare cereal packets. The different shelf heights are very versatile. Saw it on IKEA fans.

StarBaker75 Mon 13-Jul-15 21:31:30

I would have to agree with MrsFlorrick and wowfudge - we had a two part wire rack magic corner in the kitchen in our previous house. It was by far the most efficient use of space and made accessing otherwise hard to reach bits and bobs quick and easy. I can't help feeling the kidney shaped pull outs are rather bulky and subsequently limit usable storage space!

Cheekychip Mon 13-Jul-15 22:11:25

I have a 'magic corner' and I hate it. The actual surface area it gives is rubbish, I'd rather have a normal shelf and unload every time I need something from the back as some things I need to store but only use about once a month!

Cheekychip Mon 13-Jul-15 22:13:18

Maybe others have a better magic corner so do check the dimensions and actual surface storage it offers. I have an in frame kitchen which probably means mine is smaller.

RandomMess Mon 13-Jul-15 22:17:40

Have one magic corner and one bog standard corner. Sadly 2 doors wasn't an option in our kitchen sad. Only have a magic corner at all because our kitchen is short on storage and we regularly get stuff out from the back of it.

In the other corner cupboard it is for those items used once per month or less - huge cake box, vases, unusually sized baking dishes etc.

I nearly fell over with laughter that they charged £400 full price for a space fill wine rack!!!! Even with a 60% discount through the builder I turned that option down.

Next house I want a kitchen without corner cupboards...

pashmina696 Mon 13-Jul-15 22:28:57

It also depends on the cupboard layout, after having useless corner cupboards in my previous kitchen where i had to unload the whole cupboard to get something at the back we invested in good corner cupboards in our current kitchen to maximise space as we use them every day. one of them is a corner with a door on one side of the corner where we have the kidney shaped shelves that pull out - they are great and are heavily loaded but are quality cast steel blum arms and are perfect 5 years on. the other corner has a small door each side of the corner and you pull either side and it spins round, a carousel. you need a full door on one side for a kidney or magic corner and 2 half doors for a carousel - it depends on how the cupboard layout is, as this was the best solution for our kitchen.

dowhat Mon 13-Jul-15 22:33:30

We've got this https://www.howdens.com/kitchen-collection/kitchen-accessories/storage-solutions/corner-storage-accessory-2029/. Not sure how it compares to others, we just took Howdens plan without looking at others. Holds a lot of stuff smile

UsedToBeAPaxmanFan Tue 14-Jul-15 04:55:31

We used to gave a kitchen with a carousel thing. it was a flipping nightmare.

In our current kirchen we have the kidney shaped pull out shelves. They are great because they come all the way out, so nothing gets lost, but they don't hold an awful lot. I think if I was doing it again I might go for the slide out wire shelves.

zoemaguire Tue 14-Jul-15 19:58:00

We have the kidney shelves. I was sceptical, but they are great. They fit all the pan lids on one, and large pots/colanders on the other. Wouldn't store food there though, I think they are best for largish items that you still need easy access to.

FantasticMrsFoxx Tue 14-Jul-15 21:31:25

What are you intending on storing within this cupboard? If general groceries, how about something like this?
www.clckitchensandbedrooms.co.uk/kitchens-c1/storage-solutions-c31/innostor-ultimate-carousel-to-suit-900x900mm-diagonal-corner-base-unit-wwucd900-p1268
I think it's called / made by Innostor.
It pulls out like a drawer so you would need 'standing space' to accommodate this.

My corner unit is between my sink and hob so quite a tight corner to allow the wire basket things to swing out, and limited worktop to put things directly onto anyway!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now