Talk

Advanced search

architects fees - average cost?

(7 Posts)
ssss123 Wed 01-Jul-15 10:12:28

Was hoping people could give me the average cost of architects fees. Its a 3 bed semi in north london and need a loft extension and a single storey extension to the back.

Thanks in advance.

Sunnyshores Wed 01-Jul-15 19:23:41

I asked RIBA this about 10 years ago and they said to allow 10% of the cost of the build. As it happens our extension would have been £100k, plans were £7k (so 7%), but would have needed a structural engineer to complete plans so would have been near 10%.

ssss123 Wed 01-Jul-15 21:37:15

Thanks. I had no idea it would be so much. It's a very standard extension so am staggered it would cost so much.

Minithemoocher Wed 01-Jul-15 21:39:02

Ours is nowhere near that! We've just had a single story rear extension done at the architect's fee is approx £1000. We did have a quote for 4.5k though!

DustBunnyFarmer Wed 01-Jul-15 21:40:31

Depends on whether they are just drawing up plans or also project managing the build. I can't give an idea of fees, though.

StainlessSteelCat Wed 01-Jul-15 21:53:59

We found someone through the RIBA website. He gave us a breakdown of costs for every part of the process using RIBA guidelines and we chose which parts we wanted him to do. I think it was for initial design ideas, plans, managing planning application and finding us a builder/project manager. It came to £1800 in total for a standard extension on a 3 bed semi 3 years ago. Additional fees for structural engineer/drawings, planning application fees, any building control fees went direct.

shovetheholly Thu 02-Jul-15 12:02:28

If you want something completely standard, you can get an architectural technician instead of an architect and save ££££.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now