Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Sussex help

(30 Posts)
MadManx74 Mon 29-Jun-15 21:48:51

My husband recently left me and I'm striking out alone and looking to move to Sussex from the West Midlands where I've lived (extremely unhappily in terms of the County itself) for 15 years. I'll be looking for either 1 or 2 bedrooms and will have a fairly small amount to play with, about 110k, a scan of the market shows it's possible. My new fella is in Worthing but that's largely too pricey so I'm looking wider but I don't know many areas outside of Worthing, Chichester, Bognor, Arudel and Midhurst and the 20 or so miles around Worthing, all of which are outside budget except for bedsits. Except Bognor I could afford maybe but I really don't like the feel of the place.
Ideally good for train stations but not essential, don't want to live anywhere else that has a city feel, at 41 I've had enough of grime and deprivation.

Any local experts East and West Sussex? If so any valuable advice would be appreciated.

magimedi Mon 29-Jun-15 22:29:44

Try Eastbourne - lots of 1 bed flats within your price range - and it's a lovely place to live.

ponybark Mon 29-Jun-15 22:32:01

lewes is lovely, I'm not sure it would be within your price range but it is beautiful and i think the odd bargain can be had there.

Lollipopgirl8 Mon 29-Jun-15 22:43:21

West Sussex out of reach pretty much forget Lewes as I went to uni near there and is very very expensive

Lucie99 Mon 29-Jun-15 22:48:18

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-49175342.html

Have a browse on RightMove

Lucie99 Mon 29-Jun-15 22:49:43

I didn't mean to link to a warden assisted property blush

MadManx74 Mon 29-Jun-15 22:59:43

LOL, thanks Lucie. No offence taken! 41 feels flipping old! Eastbourne and Bexhill certainly possibles. Didn't know much about Hailsham but that looks a nice little flat.

beachyhead Mon 29-Jun-15 23:20:21

Look at Littlehampton. Closer to Worthing, reasonable train service (not sure where you need to get to) and improving shops and facilities.

magimedi Tue 30-Jun-15 08:28:53

Hailsham is much smaller than either Bexhill or Eastbourne & has no rail links.

It does have a reputation for being 'rough' - but how much of that is correct I don't know.

Here's an Eastbourne flat:

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-34624830.html

% mins walk to seafront, 5 mins or so to town centre.

Lollipopgirl8 Tue 30-Jun-15 09:03:16

Hailsham and Eastbourne are quite far from Worthing (30-40 miles). I would look into Littlehampton which is like 9 or so miles to Worthing.

To be honest though a quick search on Zoopla brings very little in your price range within West Sussex they are just expensive desirable areas, could you stretch the budget at all?

My partner also lives in Worthing so I am aware of these problems and I will be looking to make a similar move myself in a few years.

MadManx74 Thu 02-Jul-15 13:58:50

Thank you for your help guys. I have booked a few days in Eastbourne at the end of the month and will see if I can get a feel for the place and surrounding areas. smile

MadManx74 Thu 02-Jul-15 14:03:43

Thanks Lollipop. At present we are 200 miles apart so even 30 miles is an improvement on the 4 train 5 hour trip I have at the moment.
I think Littlehampton I can just about stretch to (maybe 110k) and some of that area I do quite like. The plan would be to buy my own place and then if all goes well we'll get a joint place in Worthing with more money to throw at it in future.

DragonWithAGirlTattoo Thu 02-Jul-15 14:10:09

you could try Newhaven, its a very small town, but has a train station (every half hour to Brighton/Lewes/Eastbourne)

you're about 35? mins from Worthing - otherwise look at Shoreham, Portslade, Lancing....?

DragonWithAGirlTattoo Thu 02-Jul-15 14:12:28

or do a right move Worthing +15miles - Bognor?

Brunhildafair Thu 02-Jul-15 15:32:09

Have you considered renting in Worthing for a short time,just to get a feel of the place and see how the romance progresses? I have family in Worthing,and they love it,beach on one side and the South Downs on the other. Also 1hr 30 mins to London Victoria by train.Worthing has a lot to offer,but maybe a good idea to try before you buy. Just a thought,I hope it all goes well. Exciting times !!

Thisishowyoudisappear Fri 03-Jul-15 09:32:46

If you're considering Bexhill, go a bit further along and look at St Leonards/Hastings. Your budget would stretch further and there's a lot going on - loads to do and you'd make new friends very quickly.

magimedi Fri 03-Jul-15 09:35:13

Enjoy your visit to Eastbourne. There is a ' hop on, hop off' bus that leave from the pier which goes up to Beachy head & the seven sisters - you can get off anywhere & walk for a while - it's really stunning.

lighteningirl Fri 03-Jul-15 19:00:06

Bangor or maybe Yapton outside Arundel avoid New haven or anywhere that side of Brighton the A27 is horrible !!

lighteningirl Fri 03-Jul-15 19:12:59

Bognor stupid spell check tho I hear Bangor is nice smile

DragonWithAGirlTattoo Fri 03-Jul-15 19:17:15

actually Newhaven is not horrible..., Seaford, Denton, Bishopstone, Cuckmere

Arundel - twee and full of antique shops

drinkyourmilk Fri 03-Jul-15 19:21:53

Littlehampton may be the way to go. It's got a good community feel, currently it feels a bit run down in the centre - but it's improving, and I've found it quite friendly and welcoming. I'm just working there mind you, not living there.

lighteningirl Sat 04-Jul-15 06:54:54

Sorry bad grammar on my part I meant the A27 is horrible! New partner is in Worthing so you would have to go on that stretch past Brighton/Shoreham a lot

MadManx74 Sat 04-Jul-15 22:36:18

Thanks very much for all the suggestions. You've helped me narrow things down somewhat from just "Sussex" lol

MadAsgardian Sat 04-Jul-15 22:41:24

Waving from Worthing. Come and live here, it's lovely (well bits of it!)

DragonWithAGirlTattoo Sun 05-Jul-15 14:37:02

The A27 is fine, until you get to Lyons Farm/Lancing end nearer Worthing

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now