Talk

Advanced search

Stupid house move questions

(20 Posts)
ozzia Mon 29-Jun-15 21:03:57

So my first house was a new build, we had the rented property until the Monday and got the keys the Friday so moved over the weekend (ourselves)

This time we're in a chain, what happens? Will I have to move on a week day? Please explain all, I am so in the dark

TIA

lalalonglegs Mon 29-Jun-15 21:07:01

Yes, generally you all have to agree a day and move in on that day if you are in a chain.

LIZS Mon 29-Jun-15 21:07:11

As you are dependant on solicitors for legal completion you would normally move simultaneously on a week day.

LittleBearPad Mon 29-Jun-15 21:14:32

You have to move on a week day. Completion will be broadly simultaneous for all of you but the funds have to move from bank to bank to bank so the time you get the keys will depend on where you are in the chain.

You need to assume you gave to be out of your current house about noon.

ozzia Mon 29-Jun-15 21:15:14

How do you make sure you're out before the new people move in?

ozzia Mon 29-Jun-15 21:16:10

Ah ok so you get removals people here first thing, pack up and then wait until you're told you're good to go?

ozzia Mon 29-Jun-15 21:16:54

I must sound so dumb but no one in my family has moved for more years than I've been alive!

ThroughThickAndThin01 Mon 29-Jun-15 21:18:27

Removal companies pack your house up the day before you move, so there's very little to pack on moving day.

Sleepybeanbump Mon 29-Jun-15 21:20:49

Yep exactly. You start as early as possible, aim to get packed up by noon and then sit and wait for the phone call. If you have a fair amount to pack up sometimes you start the day before and the removal co keep the stuff on the van at the depot overnight and you spend the night in a half empty house.

Sometimes the other people run late and hold you up, sometimes every one is sitting waiting but the money doesn't all get to the right place by later in the afternoon. It's a bundle of laughs grin

LIZS Mon 29-Jun-15 21:20:53

Depends on how much stuff you have . Sometimes they part pack day prior sometimes the morning is enough.

specialsubject Mon 29-Jun-15 21:27:19

you have to do the legals/completion on a week day, which is why Friday is popular as it means people have the weekend to settle in.

once the sale is complete the vendor and all their possesions must be out, hence the chain effect. You could get out early and put your stuff in storage overnight and yourself in a hotel.

I've moved twice on Wednesdays; selling to move to rented and buying to move from rented, with the vendor going into rented. So when selling I left an empty house for two days (the rest of the chain below us wanted Friday) and when buying I came into an empty house as the vendor had gone the day before. Does make completion much earlier as the solicitors/banks aren't so busy.

ozzia Mon 29-Jun-15 21:28:07

Hmm starting to think I might send do to stay elsewhere while this all goes on as he gets so stressed so easily. Make everything run smoothly to do it myself.

Thanks all

I don't think we've got THAT much to pack up, can't imagine needing more than one van and the cars

Hobbes8 Mon 29-Jun-15 21:39:12

Removals people will tell you how long they need to load you up when they give you quotes. If you can afford it, get them to pack you as well. They're so efficient.

The funds don't always take ages to transfer. I had a call at 9 in the morning to say we'd completed. I was still cleaning the old house, and then realised I didn't own it anymore! You have til around lunch time to get out of the old house though - your solicitor can tell you an exact time.

ozzia Mon 29-Jun-15 21:48:22

Oh I had every intention of giving the house a really good clean for the new people, don't think that will happen then

We've not got a completion date yet so I've not even started looking at removals people. Maybe I should start!

CrispyFB Mon 29-Jun-15 22:23:50

Friday is good if everything goes to plan, but if it doesn't especially with the finances, you can end up in limbo over a weekend (banks/solicitors not working) which I can only imagine is no fun at all.

I've been a first time buyer three times now (long story) which has meant I've had the luxury of completing, getting the keys, and then a several day overlap whilst I move out of rented into the new place. With my last move with four young DC from one massive house into another, I have NO idea how we'd have done it in one day or moved further than five minutes walk away. It took our very experienced removals company, who also did the packing, two full days with stuff moving from old house to new house on both of the days. And a team of up to five people at times. I think there would need to be some sort of storage on the van involved their end in cases like ours.

Never planning on moving ever again!!!!

ozzia Tue 30-Jun-15 08:29:09

I've already started packing things up and charity bagging things to make life easier in the long run.

Maybe aiming for a Wednesday is a good plan then. Fingers crossed this is our last move for the next 20 odd years!

Turtlefeet Tue 30-Jun-15 08:57:26

On one of our moved we and our removals lorry turned up at the new house at 4pm and the other people were no where near out.

We went to the pub for tea and came back as although pissed off, did feel a bit sorry for them and didnt want to appear to be glowering down at them.

However,by 8pm when they were finally out I have to say my mood was not the best. Luckily our removals were brilliant and waited with us,literally dumped the boxes and left.

We have moved loads of times. Mostly with the army,so not the same with waiting for phonecalls from solicitors to confirm completion, but have moved into our own home twice (above being one of them).

Packing wise - start early. If you are using a removal company and have the packing service - you can just chill but I would advise a good declutter and getting organised and the dont sort. They pack fast but a bit like robots. If you leave your electric drill in the bedroom (as we once did using the screwdriver function on it to dismantle beds) they will pack it with your bedside lamps and not the tool box, which will mean when you get the other end you wont find it for ages because it wont be in the box you think it will be in - ie: with the other tools kept in the garage/understairs cupboard or wherever.

I have asked for boxes,packing tape and paper from my removal company in advance (once they are booked) before now. This means you can speed up packing/moving day. I usually pack the stuff I know I wont definately need. Such as ornaments,pictures, winter coats if moving in the summer, spare bedlinen/towels in the airing cupboard, posh crockery that only comes out at xmas etc etc.

Turtlefeet Tue 30-Jun-15 08:57:46

Good luck with your move by the way.

ozzia Tue 30-Jun-15 10:01:13

Thanks :-) I think I'd rather pack everything myself as some things aren't going to be unpacked until we've completed renovation work then I can be uber organised

ozzia Tue 30-Jun-15 10:11:05

Luckily we're only going 15 mins down the road :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now