Talk

Advanced search

Surveyor problem

(5 Posts)
Fedupofallthemud Mon 29-Jun-15 20:51:04

We are in process of getting BTL mortgage but surveyor has come back and said because we added extension last year it's being classed as major renovation so we can now only borrow 65%. It's also been valued lower than 2 previous valuations (both in last 6 months)
This leaves us tens of thousands of pounds short and is putting the whole thing in jeopardy.
Our extension added a bedroom and family room. The kitchen, bathrooms, other bedrooms, electrics, plumbing and central heating have not been altered in any way. How on earth can this be classed as a major renovation? We have tried to appeal but getting nowhere.
Does anyone know if there is an agreed definition of 'major renovation'?
If this surveyor has decided this is is likely another surveyor would do the same? We are thinking of applying with a different lender but don't want to be throwing good money after bad
Any advice would be appreciated.

Fedupofallthemud Tue 30-Jun-15 18:53:42

Bump

lalalonglegs Tue 30-Jun-15 19:28:00

I'd explain the situation to a mortgage broker who may be able to give you an idea of what would be classed as a major renovation and whether this would be a problem for another firm of surveyors.

There is probably a process for appealing to the surveying company against the valuation but I imagine it would be long and protracted. Basically, surveyors are used to owners telling them that their property is much more valuable than the survey suggests.

Fedupofallthemud Tue 30-Jun-15 20:33:44

Our broker appealed but it was rejected. It's like surveyors can just make these arbitrary decisions and there is sod all you can do about it. House prices have risen in this area in the last quarter yet she's also taken 25k off valuation done less than 6 months ago.
Speaking as a professional person of I just made stuff like this up I'd be struck off. Surely she should at least be required to explain her decision??

Fedupofallthemud Tue 30-Jun-15 20:34:01

if not of

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now