Talk

Advanced search

Attic Conversion

(5 Posts)
jazzsyncopation Sun 28-Jun-15 18:49:17

A friend's had some quotes for an attic conversion :2 small bedrooms(one ensuite)..prices seem high-has anyone had this type of work done recently and if so,what seemed reasonable

HarrietSchulenberg Sun 28-Jun-15 18:55:26

My quote 10 years ago was £10k for starters and they warned it could be higher as they'd not done a full recce.
That included having two fire walls built up and plastering, but not finishing, ie painting.

deckthehallswithdesperation Sun 28-Jun-15 20:03:31

Depends what type/size of house you're talking about & just what you want to do with it. The ball-park figure round our way is 50k for a 'hip-to-gable' (where you square off the sloped end roof & add a large dormer across the back. 10k sounds really cheap to me. That must be for a small terrace perhaps?

deckthehallswithdesperation Sun 28-Jun-15 20:05:36

Every year they tighten up the building regs regarding lofts. There's a far bit to happen in there, adjusting joists, putting in steels, electric, boiler/water system changes, matching staircases, plumbing etc. You need to inspect as many other lofts as possible to learn from other peoples mistakes. We did this & got a fabulous job.

HarrietSchulenberg Sun 28-Jun-15 23:09:22

Yes, mine was for a 3 bed L shaped terrace.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now