removing an old (unused) back boiler.

(9 Posts)
inamayliedtome Sat 27-Jun-15 21:13:27

We have bought a 1950s house to renovate (while living in it which is exhausting). We merrily knocked out the fireplace which was blocked up, and there is an old back boiler in there. It's not in use, as there is a newish boiler elsewhere.

My question is, is it safe to just take it out ourselves or should we get someone in to do it, and in which case, who? Is it a plumber we need? The pipes are all in the wall so hard to tell where they go and if they are still connected. I can't imagine it is still connected after all these years (the people we bought it from had lived here for 15 years and it was boarded up when they got it).

Advice would be appreciated from anyone who's come across one of these before. Google hasn't helped and we don't want to pay a plumber to come out if that's the wrong person. We're hoping this isn't an enormous job, but as everything else we do in this sodding moneypit has turned out to be, I won't be too surprised if it is.

HelenF350 Sat 27-Jun-15 21:19:24

If you aren't sure if it's still connected get a plumber. I removed one myself but it wasn't connected. In our new house the back boiler was connected as a back up to the oil heating so we had the plumber disconnect it when he fitted the new gas boiler. I wouldn't make any assumptions just incase.

HelenF350 Sat 27-Jun-15 21:20:40

You will be able to sell the back boiler for scrap once it's out, it will likely be copper. That will recoup some of the cost for you.

inamayliedtome Sun 28-Jun-15 07:17:09

Thank you!

echt Sun 28-Jun-15 09:43:12

You need to check for asbestos. Really.

inamayliedtome Sun 28-Jun-15 21:43:05

Oh god! Ok.

bowsaw Mon 29-Jun-15 12:46:15

had a old rusty cast one that came out via a few blows from a lump hammer in a few bits and then was weighed in.

We had asbestos on the wall either side of the chimney that was removed and disposed of first

Whatdoiknow31 Mon 29-Jun-15 22:07:20

You need a Gas Safe Registered engineer to check that the gas is isolated - though I am sure it is after all this time. Same engineer can isolate flow and return pipe work if needed. Then you can remove yourself. Won't be worth much scrap though as it will probably be cast iron. Copper is where the scrap value is.

HelenF350 Mon 29-Jun-15 22:10:14

If it's 1950s it may well be copper, mine was. Got about £120 for it and the scrap price was lower at that time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now